BCD396T: Trouble Updating from 1.20.13 to 3.02.02 Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierrerosen

So, I was able to successfully upgrade my firmware on my BCD396T from the earlier version to 1.20.13 without any problems. But when I try to update to 3.02.02, I get the following error message:

Programming Error!!
Please check the following things:
* Connect your scanner to the PC with the standard PC interface cable
* Keep your scanner connected to external power on the scanner

I've restarted the computer, made sure the batteries are out, made sure freescan wasn't running etc.

I'm using a Prolific USB-to-Serial adapter on COM port 4, driver version 3.0.0.0, using FIFO buffers.

I tried changed the data rate on the driver to 115200, but it still didn't work.

I'm also using a Windows 7 computer - I have access to a Windows XP computer if that's the issue.

Any ideas? Tried searching the forum posts, but no luck.

Last edited:

pierrerosen

I'm using a Prolific USB-to-Serial adapter on COM port 4....

The USB-to-Serial adapter was the problem. I hooked up my scanner to my wife's old computer that has a Serial Port and was able to update the scanner to the 3.02.02 firmware.

Strange how one firmware update worked and another didn't using the same equipment.

Yet another reason to keep old computers around.

K7CAR

I had the same thing happen to me when I updated my BCT15X. My USB-232 had been working flawlessly. The update went fine to the end and then came up with the error message. If that happens your scanner is dead! You MUST get the update to install now. I spent 4 hrs searching and messing with the scanner till I saw a post by someone to use a direct line to a serial port. Luckily I had an older computer with a serial port and the update went right through. Disaster averted!.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.