• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

BCD396t vs BC898t question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eahuntley

I recently got both a BCD396t and a BC898t. The 396 currently has the RS 800mhz antenna, and the 898 still has the stock antenna(until I get my package from universal radio) I have the same 800mhz Motorola type II system programmed into both scanners, but sometimes it seems like I get better reception on the 898, and sometime it seems like I get better reception on the 396. Am I imagining this

Edit: OK, let me change the question a bit. Has anyone had both these radios? Can anyone tell me, generally speaking, Which one performs better for 800mhz trunked systems (Motorola type II, if that makes a difference), with the antennas I've mentioned?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is almost impossible to evaluate; what system is being monitored, where are you, are the scanners in the same physical space, are you in a house, apartment..... the 800 system you are monitoring may have a dead spot, then move less than 2 inches and the signal improves. You might have a shielding issue from something in your environment...too many possibilities here...73 Mike

jerk

ka3jjz said:
This is almost impossible to evaluate; what system is being monitored, where are you, are the scanners in the same physical space, are you in a house, apartment..... the 800 system you are monitoring may have a dead spot, then move less than 2 inches and the signal improves. You might have a shielding issue from something in your environment...too many possibilities here...73 Mike
Not to mention one has a "rubber duck" which is not a tuned or efficient antenna for reception, and the other the 898 has a telescoping metal antenna which should always outperform a duck antenna, but breaks very easily, so the duck is the best compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.