BCD396t vs BC898t question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eahuntley

I recently got both a BCD396t and a BC898t. The 396 currently has the RS 800mhz antenna, and the 898 still has the stock antenna(until I get my package from universal radio) I have the same 800mhz Motorola type II system programmed into both scanners, but sometimes it seems like I get better reception on the 898, and sometime it seems like I get better reception on the 396. Am I imagining this

Edit: OK, let me change the question a bit. Has anyone had both these radios? Can anyone tell me, generally speaking, Which one performs better for 800mhz trunked systems (Motorola type II, if that makes a difference), with the antennas I've mentioned?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is almost impossible to evaluate; what system is being monitored, where are you, are the scanners in the same physical space, are you in a house, apartment..... the 800 system you are monitoring may have a dead spot, then move less than 2 inches and the signal improves. You might have a shielding issue from something in your environment...too many possibilities here...73 Mike

jerk

ka3jjz said:
This is almost impossible to evaluate; what system is being monitored, where are you, are the scanners in the same physical space, are you in a house, apartment..... the 800 system you are monitoring may have a dead spot, then move less than 2 inches and the signal improves. You might have a shielding issue from something in your environment...too many possibilities here...73 Mike
Not to mention one has a "rubber duck" which is not a tuned or efficient antenna for reception, and the other the 898 has a telescoping metal antenna which should always outperform a duck antenna, but breaks very easily, so the duck is the best compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.