BCD396XT and Saratoga Cnty System

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvsteve

Greetings, new here but lurking for years. New BCD396XT for Digital reception. Downloaded SaratogaCntyPubl into Freescan, set and enabled quick keys and uploaded to radio. No reception. When scanning I get 2-3 bars on some talk groups, none on control channels. Free scan has it's type set to Mot Type II/P25, is this correct. Also I set CC output on and tried Pro96Com, set scanner to hold and no input on any channel. Is this scanner a good choice to receive this system and will Pro96Com work. Location is Ballston Lake. Any help would be appreciated.

snorkle

its a mot phase 1 /p25 system. you should hve bought a pro-106. I live in broadalbin and saratoga loud and clear.also their system is rebanded. check your settings for that.
snorkle wb2gye

Last edited:

tvsteve

its a mot phase 1 /p25 system. you should hve bought a pro-106. I live in broadalbin and saratoga loud and clear.also their system is rebanded. check your settings for that.
snorkle wb2gye

Thanks for the reply. This is a new system that was recently put on-line, Saratoga County P25 Exclusive Digital Simulcast Trunked System. I was finally able to get some distorted messages thru but I have only 3 bars of signal. I am using the scanner indoors with the duck antenna. Sites are less than 10 miles away. Trying to find out if a Pro-106/PSR500 might work for me.

snorkle

I bought a 106 3 years ago at half price. from R.S. Love it. For saratoga system, you just enter the control channels, put it in wild card mode then enter the talkgroups that you want. the scanner must be in scan mode.You should't be hearing anything on the cc channels.,just the other channels. the county is using cc#2. I get 5 bars with just a rubber duck antenna. I have heard them in Cobleskill.
snorkle

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What you describe indicates you are not receiving the system very well. I'd try a better antenna or location.

(It is normal to not hear anything on the control channel for a P25 system. The control channel "noise" results in a very low level of audio, even with good reception.)

tvsteve

I modified a UHF Yagi TV antenna for vertical polarization. Orienting for best reception I got 5 bars on the roof. In the shack I have a fluctuating 3-5 bars but still very little traffic and when I do get a hit it's garbled. In Pro96Com I'm still getting a receive rate of 5-25%. Is there a setting I missed? Playing with the Adjust mode and level don't seen to make any difference. Could the radio be defective or just won't work with the system I'm trying to receive.

W6KRU

I agree with the votes for a PSR-500 or a PRO-106. I listen to a simulcast system here in CA. My PSR-500 is much better than my 396XT on my local system. Even with plenty of signal, the 396XT has terrible audio.

tvsteve

I agree with the votes for a PSR-500 or a PRO-106. I listen to a simulcast system here in CA. My PSR-500 is much better than my 396XT on my local system. Even with plenty of signal, the 396XT has terrible audio.

Is the any freeware software for the PRO-106 scanner, if not what works best. The PSR-500 is the better deal as it comes with a cable and ac adapter. Are the any drawbacks to the 500, or wait for RS to put the 106 on sale?

W6KRU

There are pluses and minuses to both Uniden and GRE. I liked the memory organization of the Unidens and the smaller size but all of the positives of the Unidens evaporate when you can't understand the terrible audio since listening to them is the main point.

There are three main software programs for the GRE/RS models and none are free. You can try all 3 and then buy the one you prefer. I like Win500. I chose the PSR-500 due to the customer support.

tvsteve

There are pluses and minuses to both Uniden and GRE. I liked the memory organization of the Unidens and the smaller size but all of the positives of the Unidens evaporate when you can't understand the terrible audio since listening to them is the main point.

There are three main software programs for the GRE/RS models and none are free. You can try all 3 and then buy the one you prefer. I like Win500. I chose the PSR-500 due to the customer support.

I just may pack up the 396 and go for the GRE. The audio it tinny, has a nasty squelch tail and compared to my RS 95 and 97 doesn't receive as well. Still no luck on the local P25 system. I wasted a lot of time trying to like the 396 but it's just not happening.

tvsteve

Just got back from a local hamfest. While there the 396 got 5 solid bars and received 90% of the calls, Used a RS 800Mhz duck, the oem antenna didn't work as well. I picked up a 800Mhz yagi and put it in place of the tv antenna. I'm getting 5 bars but 25% of the audio is broken. My conclusion is that this radio needs a solid signal for it to work, not less than 5 bars.

D

DaveNF2G

Remember also that the system is simulcast and scanners don't deal with that very well.

tvsteve

Remember also that the system is simulcast and scanners don't deal with that very well.

At my location, on a scale of 0-100 the 396XT gives a 10, the RS 106 gives a 0. I have tried multiple setups, yagi, discone, tried attenuator and indoor RS 800Mhz duck. Mobile with a roof mounted 800Mhz both radios are essentially useless. Looks like a return is in order till a usable radio is marketed. Anyone have better luck receiving?

snorkle

Steve, you should drive over to barkersville road off rt 29 and tried it with the 106. I still say you have not gone to the T-tables and rebanded your scannner. If that dosent work, check with your local fire depts and see if they have any member with digital scanner. I would like to check your settings against mine.
wb2gye

tvsteve

Steve, you should drive over to barkersville road off rt 29 and tried it with the 106. I still say you have not gone to the T-tables and rebanded your scannner. If that dosent work, check with your local fire depts and see if they have any member with digital scanner. I would like to check your settings against mine.
wb2gye

snorkle, You are right, I haven't rebanded the scanner. Is it necessary to receive this system correctly? Never had a reason to do it. I'm now using the PRO-106, having returned the 396. Is there a tutorial for help?

tvsteve

wb2gye

I uploaded the reband tables in win500 to the scanner. Didn't seem to make any difference. I also mounted the yagi on the high 2M mast. Rotated for best reception I can get distorted garbled audio with an occasional clear word. The scanner does work. I drove into Clifton Park, 146 and RT9 just west of the CP tower. Mostly clear audio but occasionally a garble on the start and or end of transmission. In located 5 miles north of the CP tower and 21 miles south of Spruce Mountain with lots of tall pine surrounding me. PM me, I can email you the win500 data file.

Status
Not open for further replies.