BCD396XT Battery Charge Rate Consume Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rszkodzi

I just wanted to post this for everyone, since it was not listed anywhere, and after calling Uniden they did not have it, go figure.

The Charge rate on the battery terminals when using NiMh mode is ...

275 mAh when unit is turned off. Fairly consistent.
265-270 mAh when unit is turned on and plugged in to power. This fluctuates whether there is active reception in progress or just scanning.
When not plugged into the power the draw rate from battery is 160-180 mAh. This fluctuates based on whether its scanning or receiving and outputting the audio. Squelch and Volume will play a role here.

I figured this out by putting a mutimeter in line.

So if you have 2700 mAh Battery at zero charge in the unit, you need to charge the batteries for ~10 Hours for a full charge.

If you have other capacities just do the math. Keep in mind you are not charging a battery from zero typically.
Here is a calculator ... http://convert-to.com/491/recharging-rechargeable-nimh-nicd-batteries.html

The unit starts to complain when 3.5 volts is registered.

Note that the unit does not have smart charging capability. It charges for as long as the Battery Charge setting is configured for. So the default 14 hour is way too long for just about any battery on the market today. Overcharging will kill the battery and over heat the unit/battery.

I will be testing a new bunch of Sanyo LSD Eneloop 2500 mAh batteries in the unit today. When the unit complains at 3.5 volts I will use my LaCrosse 900 charger to recharge the batteries and I will post the mAh it had to replenish. This will allow me (you) to set the charge rate accordingly on the Uniden in case you ever want to occationally charge in unit.

-R

W9NES

I use 2900 Mah batteries and charge them outside the scanner. I have a Uniden 396XT.Never charge the batteries in the 396T or the 396XT. I use a Maha battery charger.The 2900Mah batteries will outlast the batteries that come with the scanner from Uniden.I also carry a package of 2900Mah batteries with me that are pre-charged and when one set is dropping down on voltage

rszkodzi

UPDATE on Charge Times

Here is the update ...

My LaCrosse Charger at 1000 mAh took 2.5 hours to charge and says that it needed to put back 2270 mAh back into each battery.

These were Sanyo LSD 2500 mAh batteries. So that means at 3.5 volts on the unit the batteries have only ~230 mAh left.

To put back 2270 mAh using the internal charge mechanism once the unit starts to beep would take 8.4 hours. Rounding to 9 hours for good measure and heat loss (minimal using LSD's) this is my new setting for the internal charges.

Your mileage may vary. Hope this helps someone else.

-R

W9NES

This is the main reason to get 2900Mah batteries for your scanner and buy Maha charger, Best investment I ever made. Also charge the batteries outside th scsnner.

Status
Not open for further replies.