BCD396XT Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

stg5ive

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, it's been a couple weeks with my scanner and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I'm able to program with ease using freescan and so far have not come up with any issues except for one--recording.

I've followed all references on the wiki and everything with my soundcard is set up fine. The audio is being recorded through freescan--both rec and online lights come on when there is a transmission and a mp3 file is being created in the specified folder. The problem lies in the audio with the mp3 file. Each file has size and each file is being recorded in 32kbps, but their is no wave file and the sound is just static.

I've tried adjusting sampling rates and opening with different editing apps and nothing changes. I'm having to use a USB to serial port adapter in order to connect to my computer and wondering if maybe that could be the issue.

Any suggestions from the experts would be greatly appreciated

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hey all, it's been a couple weeks with my scanner and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I'm able to program with ease using freescan and so far have not come up with any issues except for one--recording.

I've followed all references on the wiki and everything with my soundcard is set up fine. The audio is being recorded through freescan--both rec and online lights come on when there is a transmission and a mp3 file is being created in the specified folder. The problem lies in the audio with the mp3 file. Each file has size and each file is being recorded in 32kbps, but their is no wave file and the sound is just static.

I've tried adjusting sampling rates and opening with different editing apps and nothing changes. I'm having to use a USB to serial port adapter in order to connect to my computer and wondering if maybe that could be the issue.

Any suggestions from the experts would be greatly appreciated

The scanner does not send any audio through the USB connection. You will need an audio cable from the headphone jack to your sound card.

stg5ive

Premium Subscriber
The scanner does not send any audio through the USB connection. You will need an audio cable from the headphone jack to your sound card.

Even through Freescan? Freescan has a record audio feature which I presume sends the audio as data through the USB and converts to mp3. Freescan allows you to choose which device/soundcard to record through. I don't see why you would have to run a separate cable from your headphone jack to your soundcard if that function is already being enabled/performed via data cable connected to your PC. There are audio files being created it's just that the audio is coming out as complete static.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
For one, the USB connection isn't a USB connection, it's a serial connection, even with a USB adapter.

I'm pretty sure the setup is that Freescan just controls the creation of the MP3 files by using the soundcard input.It simply toggles the recording of sound from it according to scanner activity on the chosen channels. That would explain your white noise on the MP3 files - it's getting nothing from your sound card because there's no audio being fed to it.

stg5ive

Premium Subscriber
For one, the USB connection isn't a USB connection, it's a serial connection, even with a USB adapter.

I'm pretty sure the setup is that Freescan just controls the creation of the MP3 files by using the soundcard input.It simply toggles the recording of sound from it according to scanner activity on the chosen channels. That would explain your white noise on the MP3 files - it's getting nothing from your sound card because there's no audio being fed to it.

OK but as the first commenter suggested using a cable to go from your headphone jack to your soundcard--I actually tried that and the only way I would be able to record audio would be through an editor independent of Freescan. I want to record it through Freescan because it captures audio as it is being received and creates individual mp3 files for each transmission. An independent editor would not allow me to do that.

Tweekerbob

You need both. The USB connection to your scanner gives FreeScan the information about what your scanner is doing: stopped on a frequency, what frequency, etc., etc.

The audio cable delivers the audio to the soundcard. In FreeScan there is a recording setup section that allows you to choose which audio device you wish to record from. Make sure that is set correctly.

stg5ive

Premium Subscriber
You need both. The USB connection to your scanner gives FreeScan the information about what your scanner is doing: stopped on a frequency, what frequency, etc., etc.

The audio cable delivers the audio to the soundcard. In FreeScan there is a recording setup section that allows you to choose which audio device you wish to record from. Make sure that is set correctly.

OK, thanks. I'll give that a try again when I'm not so tired.

gtblu

I'm having trouble with recording also. My problem is that the files in the log are not relating correctly to the sound files. Generally they are one file out, so that is that the file in the log when clicked plays the file above. Also it will sometimes record the same file several times. Very confusing.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.