BCD436HP antenna connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dundee15

Hello,

I am looking into getting this anteanna for Christmas, it would be my first base antenna I've ever purchased so my question is, do I need to buy a special connector to attach this antenna to my 436? And If so can someone tell me the type of connector I will need?

Thank you, the antenna I Am looking it is in the link below.

Laird PC806N Yagi Base Antenna | Scanner Master

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Your scanner has an SMA connector. You will need an adapter from whatever connector is on the coax from the antenna to SMA. Uniden used to supply a BNC to SMA adapter with the radio. Most likely the coax will have a PL-259 connector. Comet makes short lengths of coax with a connection for a PL-259 and an SMA on the other end. I use these because they put less stress on the antenna connector on the top of the radio. Interestingly the antenna you mention does not specify what type of connection it has on the Scanner Master web site.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that all of the antennas you reference are tuned for the 800 MHz band. You didn't mention what band(s) you were primarily interested in monitoring but if any of them are outside of the 800 MHz band, you might want something with a wider band coverage. Also Yagi antennas are highly directional so you will only have good reception for transmitters that are in the direction the antenna is pointed. For general scanner use you might want to look at wideband discone antennas. These are omnidirectional and cover many bands. The following are examples:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...s-256/?zenid=acdfbecb4650b8b84672a0799ba843c7

Dundee15

Keep in mind that all of the antennas you reference are tuned for the 800 MHz band. You didn't mention what band(s) you were primarily interested in monitoring but if any of them are outside of the 800 MHz band, you might want something with a wider band coverage. Also Yagi antennas are highly directional so you will only have good reception for transmitters that are in the direction the antenna is pointed. For general scanner use you might want to look at wideband discone antennas. These are omnidirectional and cover many bands. The following are examples:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...s-256/?zenid=acdfbecb4650b8b84672a0799ba843c7

800MHz is what I do need.. I'm new to this stuff so just trying to figure out what one would be worth it as they are all close to the same price.

Dundee15

Yagi Antenna help

I posted about this issue couple weeks ago but never really got a answer, I just recived my Lanird Yagi Antenna 806-866 Mhz (in the link below) except I ordered it through ScannerMaster. I got an email from ScannerMaster saying all I needed was my SMA-BNC adaptor but it doesn't fit? Can anyone help me and tell me what I need to connect this antenna to my BCD436HP? I would greatly appriecate some help this is my first base antenna so really don't know what I'm doing,,, :(

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=42199

Dundee15

What type of N Male? I see there are multiple different ones on the link.

Thanks

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
What type of connector is on the coax from the antenna? And what type of coax is it?

Dundee15

I don't really know... sorry I don't know what I'm looking for on this stuff.. the link says it's a Female n and I got no idea on the coax?

Dundee15

Do these pictures help?

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpg
    IMG_1809.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 466

KevinC

Super Moderator
You are going to need a piece of coax to go from the "pigtail" on the antenna to your radio, with a male N-type on the pigtail end and I'm guessing a male BNC on the radio end (to mate to your SMA-to-BNC adapter).

It needs to be something relatively flexible as to reduce the strain on the adapter/scanner.

Dundee15

You are going to need a piece of coax to go from the "pigtail" on the antenna to your radio, with a male N-type on the pigtail end and I'm guessing a male BNC on the radio end (to mate to your SMA-to-BNC adapter).

It needs to be something relatively flexible as to reduce the strain on the adapter/scanner.

Can you maybe post some links? I really don't know what I'm looking for.

KevinC

Super Moderator
And keep in mind the coax I linked would only be acceptable for a short run. Anything over probably 10 feet or so would need a lower loss cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.