BCD436HP Backlight Dim

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanson2255

I've had my 436hp for about 9 months now, when it's plugged in, I always have the back light on. The backlight on the 'high' setting is now less than half as bright as it was new out of the box, and the 'low' setting is almost completely without backlighting. I have heard of these types of issues with the 536hp, anyone else notice this issue with their 436hp?

ScannerFreaque

LiScanner101 Duplicate Account
Banned
There are several threads about this. Apparently it's another component degradation/aging issue similar to the clock issue that is really starting to crop up now. It appears that the displays are just losing brightness over time. Sounds like a bad/over or under-rated component.

Voyager

Makes you wonder if the same regulator that runs the backlight also charges the battery.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I normally keep mine on low, and haven't noticed a change in brightness on my 436.

XTS3000

There is a thread here about the 536HP dimming as well after moderate use. So this problem is not just for the 436.

I've always kept my backlight on dim or off most of the time, so I've not noticed any dimming, yet I have a defective clock. The problem is the cheap LCD and the LED's that backlight said display. These x36HP's are just cheap garbage. For crying out loud, these scanners have a passive LCD display! I didn't think these 1st generation passive LCD displays were even being made any longer.

The dim display will be the next major issue for Uniden as more and more reports are coming in about this problem. Again, Uniden will blame the display manufacturer for their problems. Why take the blame when you can blame someone else. It's clearly apparent Uniden did zero quality testing before dumping these garbage scanners on the unsuspecting market.

Voyager

And how many people reported the dimming issue in the first few months? If someone didn't report the issue for 6 months or so, why not? Not all problems show up in a few months. It's not different for Uniden.

And the setting you will notice the change on least is the low setting. The one you will notice it on the most is the high setting. But, both may be aging the same. It would be interesting to see if your high setting exhibits any noticeable change.

Status
Not open for further replies.