BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP: How do I limit P-25 Sites Scanned?

KA5YYD

I suspect this is a simple question and I am just missing an obvious answer somewhere, but after reviewing the manual, this forum and the broader internet, I can't seem to find the answer. My use case is that I want to scan my local agencies (the Memorial Villages in West Houston) on the TXWARN P-25 system. I have a pretty good idea which sites on the system are the ones I am likely to pick up from my location. I have set my zip code and distance to 20 miles. When I start to scan, the radio scans sites all over southeast Texas in areas I could never pick up with a scanner using a rubber duck. As a consequence, I miss many transmissions because the scanner is listening for a site it cannot hear. I have tried using the scanner to listen to other local agencies in other parts of the state and I have the same issue... Too many sites are scanned and I miss what I want to hear. How do I limit the number of sites scanned to either those in a specific area or certain named sites I choose from a list?

Thanks in advance.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You need to look at the site ranges on the system in the database and see how far those rings go. Then look at your 20 mile range and see how many are overlapping.

Either set a much smaller range or create a favorites list with just the sites you want. Assign the sites a quick key so if you want to toggle some on or off, you can.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Start at setting your global range to 0.
This will tell the radio to use the individual sites range only.

See what you hear and if you want more, increase the global range in smaller increments.

Ensnared

I suspect this is a simple question and I am just missing an obvious answer somewhere, but after reviewing the manual, this forum and the broader internet, I can't seem to find the answer. My use case is that I want to scan my local agencies (the Memorial Villages in West Houston) on the TXWARN P-25 system. I have a pretty good idea which sites on the system are the ones I am likely to pick up from my location. I have set my zip code and distance to 20 miles. When I start to scan, the radio scans sites all over southeast Texas in areas I could never pick up with a scanner using a rubber duck. As a consequence, I miss many transmissions because the scanner is listening for a site it cannot hear. I have tried using the scanner to listen to other local agencies in other parts of the state and I have the same issue... Too many sites are scanned and I miss what I want to hear. How do I limit the number of sites scanned to either those in a specific area or certain named sites I choose from a list?

Thanks in advance.
Harris county is an odd duck with respect to TxWarn.

Scanning with a 436HP in Houston is rather difficult. I have used one, but I put it aside when I bought my SDS 100.

I strongly suggest that you go to the Texas forum to read some of the many threads about how to properly scan this system. Outside of the Houston Metro area, I hear the system much better. I stopped using my mobile antenna with the SDS 100 since the Remtronix rubber antenna works so very well. These antennas make a huge difference in reception. The stock antenna that comes with the 436HP & SDS 100 is horrible in comparison to the ones I just mentioned.

If you like, I can send you HPE files for the Houston area since I've already programmed the area.

I might add, you are only going to hear talk group 31003 (Memorial PD channel 1) & talk group 31009 (Memorial Villages FD channel 1) since all of the others are fully-encrypted.

Let me know if you would like some help.

ih784

Premium Subscriber
Similar question, I set my coordinates iaw google maps. I set my range to 0. I have programmed distant sites (say 50 miles or so.). I’m still scanning those sites and actively receiving traffic from them. I’m picking up all sites I’m scanning, seven total really well at around 5 bars on my sds100. I feel like I’m missing local traffic. Should I only be scanning 1-2 sites? If so, should I make them one close site and one distant site?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Similar question, I set my coordinates iaw google maps. I set my range to 0. I have programmed distant sites (say 50 miles or so.). I’m still scanning those sites and actively receiving traffic from them. I’m picking up all sites I’m scanning, seven total really well at around 5 bars on my sds100. I feel like I’m missing local traffic. Should I only be scanning 1-2 sites? If so, should I make them one close site and one distant site?
You set your range to zero. Was that done in Sentinel then you downloaded your list('s) to the scanner? You have verified that your location, bith in Sentinel, as well as on the scanner itself, is set correctly?

If, with your range set to zero, but still hearing distant sites, make sure that the Favorites list in use is also set to use location control. In Sentinel, that's programmed under the Options tab of the list in the Favorites list editor,

On the scanner itself:
Press Menu
Then, select Manage Favorites
1703561869471.png
Press the E/ yes key to proceed

Select the Favorites list to be edited and press E/yes to go to the next sub-menu
1703562105906.png
(Screenshot is from ProScan connected to my SDS200, but the procedure is the same for either of the x36HP or SDS series scanners.)

On the next sub-menu, choose Use Location Control
1703562236652.png
Press E/enter to go to the next step

Use the scroll knob to select On and press E/enter

1703562357941.png

After selecting On, press the System soft key to resume scanning. Or, you can press Menu again, several times, to back out of the editing menu and resume scanning.

With the exception of some of the Statewide, or National, conventional systems, the scanner should now be ignoring the more distant sites, presuming that their range, in the database, is correct.

ih784

Premium Subscriber
You set your range to zero. Was that done in Sentinel then you downloaded your list('s) to the scanner? You have verified that your location, bith in Sentinel, as well as on the scanner itself, is set correctly?

If, with your range set to zero, but still hearing distant sites, make sure that the Favorites list in use is also set to use location control. In Sentinel, that's programmed under the Options tab of the list in the Favorites list editor,

On the scanner itself:
Press Menu
Then, select Manage Favorites
View attachment 153607
Press the E/ yes key to proceed

Select the Favorites list to be edited and press E/yes to go to the next sub-menu
View attachment 153608
(Screenshot is from ProScan connected to my SDS200, but the procedure is the same for either of the x36HP or SDS series scanners.)

On the next sub-menu, choose Use Location Control
View attachment 153609
Press E/enter to go to the next step

Use the scroll knob to select On and press E/enter

View attachment 153610

After selecting On, press the System soft key to resume scanning. Or, you can press Menu again, several times, to back out of the editing menu and resume scanning.

With the exception of some of the Statewide, or National, conventional systems, the scanner should now be ignoring the more distant sites, presuming that their range, in the database, is correct.
That did it. I've been using Proscan. However, the issue was not using location control in the favorites tab. It works now. Thak you!

mmccowen1

Premium Subscriber
Harris county is an odd duck with respect to TxWarn.

Scanning with a 436HP in Houston is rather difficult. I have used one, but I put it aside when I bought my SDS 100.

I strongly suggest that you go to the Texas forum to read some of the many threads about how to properly scan this system. Outside of the Houston Metro area, I hear the system much better. I stopped using my mobile antenna with the SDS 100 since the Remtronix rubber antenna works so very well. These antennas make a huge difference in reception. The stock antenna that comes with the 436HP & SDS 100 is horrible in comparison to the ones I just mentioned.

If you like, I can send you HPE files for the Houston area since I've already programmed the area.

I might add, you are only going to hear talk group 31003 (Memorial PD channel 1) & talk group 31009 (Memorial Villages FD channel 1) since all of the others are fully-encrypted.

Let me know if you would like some help.
I would really appreciate your HPE file for Houston. I think I have mine programed right but having trouble when traveling Harris County and Fort bend.