BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptBrett

Premium Subscriber
i just got the BCD436HP, was wondering is there a antenna upgrade for this unit?

my main use is in the car while driving,

also interested in getting the best rated car antenna, an interior glass mount if that is avail?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Tram 1199 Glass Mount Scanner Antenna 25-1300 MHz Coverage.

This antenna is a wide band coverage 25-1300 MHz antenna. A good start for the price. Note: Glass mount antennas may not work through glass that has been tinted with metallic materials.

If there are specific frequencies you want to receive there may be some alternatives which may provide better reception.

Last edited:

CaptBrett

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I am also looking for a upgrade rubber duck antenna for the unit .........any suggestions

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello. I am also looking for a upgrade rubber duck antenna for the unit .........any suggestions
If your primary systems of interest are 700 or 800MHz trunked systems, it's hard to beat this antenna. Better known as the 'Radio Shack 800MHz antenna', it's now distributed by Remtronix. It's still on the Radio SHack website, but sold out, and at a higher price than either of these purchasing options:
ScannerMaster
or
Universal Radio
Universal has both the SMA version as well as the BNC. The antenna connection on your 436HP is SMA. However, the scanner ships with an SMA to BNC adapter. I use the BNC version, as I have other scanners with only BNC, and it's easier to swap antennas around without also having to add or remove the SMA adapter as needed.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Diamond RH77CA is a better all-around choice, but isn't quite as good on 800MHz.

gbriden

I have 2 RH77CA ant. one for each scanner Uniden 436 and Whistler TX-1 they work Great so much better than stock and the price for the quality of signal for me has been worth it Less than $30 Can.

CaptBrett

Premium Subscriber
awesome thanks...... ok next ? for you folks....
is there a good inside the car glass mount antenna avail for the Uniden BCD436HP ?

Would rather have an interior type if there is one, then exterior...

thanks again

CaptBrett

Premium Subscriber
Hello again,
now I have even a more techy question. I own a company and have staff in a office, I am on the road many times during the week. I have been wondering can I install a 2-way radio system in my car? and have a base station in the office? I have no clue on where to start....... I live in Easton MD 21601. My concern is can I make such radio private? and is it even worth while considering ?
cell service sucks a lot of times, and I am just trying to see if there another option? also don't know anything about the range that this would travel?
who can help?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
NMO

I have finally assembled what I believe to be an outstanding antenna setup. I use a tri-band antenna from Ham Radio Outlet: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-005891

For the base, I use the following base since it uses 58U. For idiots like myself, I use 58U so that I can use a twist-on BNC without the need for soldering. This Tram base is outstanding because it has a rubber boot on the bottom to help protect the paint. https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/tram-1267r-bnc-7591

If you are running a CB with the scanner, Tram makes a 3500 model that also has this fantastic rubber boot. I recommend the larger magnet. There are two sizes.

For mobile, I never use the 800 mhz RS unless I am trying to be sneaky. But, this rubber antenna is great as well.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
awesome thanks...... ok next ? for you folks....
is there a good inside the car glass mount antenna avail for the Uniden BCD436HP ?

Would rather have an interior type if there is one, then exterior...

No. The metal body of the car blocks signals from getting inside. You want the antenna outside the vehicle if you expect decent reception. A glass mount is the easiest way to do that, as long as the glass isn't tinted or have a metallic film coating. A glass mount antenna with the antenna inside the vehicle is pointless.

wa4dou

Premium Subscriber
If your primary systems of interest are 700 or 800MHz trunked systems, it's hard to beat this antenna. Better known as the 'Radio Shack 800MHz antenna', it's now distributed by Remtronix. It's still on the Radio SHack website, but sold out, and at a higher price than either of these purchasing options:
ScannerMaster
or
Universal Radio
Universal has both the SMA version as well as the BNC. The antenna connection on your 436HP is SMA. However, the scanner ships with an SMA to BNC adapter. I use the BNC version, as I have other scanners with only BNC, and it's easier to swap antennas around without also having to add or remove the SMA adapter as needed.

I was going to order a REM-800b from Universal but the way the page loaded on my phone wouldn't allow me to. I "googled" that number and found a page at AirSpy.US that offered it for $19 95 + $9.00 for Priority mail shipping, a combined cost that appeared unbeatable, so I ordered one. Today, I received an email that it shipped. BTW, several sources reveal that is an Alinco antenna. I ordered the BNC version as the SMA version appears to be the wrong version for a BCD436HP, but I'm going to use mine on a TRX-1.My 436 stock antenna seems fine and I'm not keen on using any antenna on a handheld, with any kind of adapter.
The TRX-1 antenna is easily outperformed by the antenna from my Pro 92, by 2-3 bars at 800 mhz.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was going to order a REM-800b from Universal but the way the page loaded on my phone wouldn't allow me to. I "googled" that number and found a page at AirSpy.US that offered it for $19 95 + $9.00 for Priority mail shipping, a combined cost that appeared unbeatable, so I ordered one. Today, I received an email that it shipped. BTW, several sources reveal that is an Alinco antenna. I ordered the BNC version as the SMA version appears to be the wrong version for a BCD436HP, but I'm going to use mine on a TRX-1.My 436 stock antenna seems fine and I'm not keen on using any antenna on a handheld, with any kind of adapter.
The one listed at ScannerMaster and Universal are both Remtronix. However, Remtronix is the U.S. distributor for Alinco. Remtronix was set up by the U.S. staff of the now defunct GRE. GRE originally made that antenna, sold under license to Radio Shack as their "800 MHz" antenna. Now that GRE is no longer around, Remtronix distributes the antenna. While I have not seen one labeled that way, I suppose that some might be labeled as Alinco, since Remtronix is the distributor.

The SMA version would work on the 436HP, as well as earlier handheld models such as the 396XT or 396T. However, the 436HP ships with an SMA to BNC adapter, so the BNC version would work as well. I use the BNC version, with the adapter on the scanners that need it, since I have multiple scanners, some with BNC antenna connections, others SMA. Using the adapter on the 436HP, among others, I can switch any of my collection of antennas among any of my handheld scanners. While there is a slight loss of signal when using an adapter, it's so small as to be a non-factor on sensitivity. Plus, using the adapter, I eliminate wear or damage to the scanner's SMA connection. If the adapter becomes worn, not mounting the antenna securely, I can easily swap out the adapter. Much easier, and less expensive, than having to replace the SMA on the scanner itself.

I've tried this antenna on my TRX-1, with unsatisfactory results. But that is because I'm near a major highway junction, surrounded by a literal forest of cell towers. That tends to overload the GRE/ now Whistler design scanners and causes them, at times, to be less sensitive.

troymail

Silent Key
I agree - these "RS 800 Mhz"/Remtronics are excellent in all bands even though they are listed as 800 Mhz antennas. I have about 8 of them. I even use a BNC version on both the Uniden 436 and Unication G5 with adapters - huge improvement over stock antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.