BCD536HP Deal - Too Good To Be True

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
So I saw a local ad for two BCD536HP's, and the seller says they are factory-sealed, never opened, brand new, that I can buy both for $400 total. I said that I want to open them and power them up and they didn't see why I would want to do that. I told them thanks and good luck. Thoughts?

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I always trust my gut on stuff like this. I have gotten many awesome scanner deals locally by keeping a sharp eye, but I've always been able to see and test them. This felt wrong so I passed. Someone may be getting two BCD536HP's for half price, or maybe they will be buying stolen scanners or dead scanners or junk of the right weight, with packaging made to look like factory-sealed scanners. SO tempting, but no...

Last edited:

rob_d

Premium Subscriber
If it's a Craigslist ad I would flag it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

allend

Premium Subscriber
Even if they are brand new and never been opened and are HOT merchandise its not HOT merchandise if you buy in good faith and intentions. It's on the person who sold it to you. You are not buying stolen merchandise if you are not aware it is. If they are new and 200 bucks each I would jump on it and buy them and re-sell them. You can easily make 400 bucks on the deal. But everybody is jumping the gun if they are HOT or not. Maybe the person bought them and just wants to sell them or they don't know the real value of them and the husband died and never took them out of the box and the wife is selling them.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Even if they are brand new and never been opened and are HOT merchandise its not HOT merchandise if you buy in good faith and intentions. It's on the person who sold it to you. You are not buying stolen merchandise if you are not aware it is.

If they are hot and it's proven you'll have to surender them at your expense regardless. If it sounds too good... :poop:

kb6hlm

actually that would be the correct price for a used scanner $250 obo unopened or not don't think they meant $250 for both of them its $250 each

I'm sure its a misprint and if not I'm heading to AZ to pick them up right NOW!!!

rob_d

Premium Subscriber
If they are being sold in good faith, asking the seller to power them up prior to purchase shouldn't be a big deal if the buyer shows the cash and intent to purchase.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
So to clarify, the final deal we had worked out was $400, for both, unopened packages. I agree that there is no crime unless you know they are stolen, which I obviously don't. My main fear is that some crafty person has somehow managed to put junk inside of the box and make the seal look factory somehow. And as rob_d says, why would they have a problem letting me power them on if I have cash in hand and am obviously there to buy them? That part really bugs me. Because in the end, I don't REALLY know what is inside of those boxes without opening them. Still I'm very tempted as I said, it's a tough decision. I really could use an extra 536 (already own one), and I could sell one and basically get one for free. That's gnawing on my mind right now lol.

kb6hlm

True and its very easy to call the police department to run the serial numbers and if they say no just walk and call the police anyway LOL

kb6hlm

Well that's the correct and fair price for a outdated scanner unopened or not $200 each

kb6hlm

Yes that's a old model I have one in my shack and would love to upgrade to the
SDS200

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Only way if I buy a scanner usually from a member on here I can trust or buy from HRO or another website outlet to be safe.

kb6hlm

nothing wrong with it im just saying $200 is about what it is worth as you can buy it brand new for $400 with a warranty or just get the SDS200 I really like that one a lot better :)

Poor choice of words (outdated) sorry (older model)

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
An unopened BCD536HP is worth a good deal more than $200. I have zero doubts that it could fetch around $350 on ebay.

As far as outdated, LSM aside, it's better than the SDS200 other than not having the cool display and LAN, and the digital audio being a bit muddier than the SDS200. It doesn't have the "interference" issues from nearby frequencies that the SDS200 displays in some situations (like mine). The 536 is absolutely worthless for LSM on my outdoor antenna, in my location. You get nothing but the occasional garbled audio. My current 536 is used mainly to monitor a hybrid Smartzone system, sitting on a desk.

The SDS's, at least for me, are about LSM, first, and foremost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.