BCD536HP Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4lhp

Anything on whether this model is a little more "friendly" on the simulcast system distortion problem?

Also, they mention "Motorola" separately from the APCO type 1 and 2 systems. Isn't TRBO a Motorola thing therefore the new model will receive such?

I read Motorola, mentioned in the same bite as EDACS and LTR, to mean Type II trunking.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
If people start jumping to the new models and get rid of their old, maybe a plethora of pre-owned remote heads will show up on eBay now and go for a reasonable price for a used item. Just hope they aren't all bundled with a 996 or 396 in the listings.

kbehning

Premium Subscriber
These scanners sound very exciting.

I was surprised that the handheld was so large, but it sounds like streaming my scanner to my smartphone is the way of the future. I hope its controllable etc over the internet so my scanner at home is controllable and listenable where ever I am. Sound quality has to be good on the android app though, none of this 8 or 16 kbps noise.

Love the idea of having all the good parts of the home patrol combined with the good parts of the 996XT combined with more functionality and system types. I really need the P25 simulcast to be solid though.

This is going to be so much fun to learn and master these scanners! Is it possible we'll have these scanners til 2020? Seems so far out now...

UPMAN - you guys did an awesome job in raising the bar.

don333

So...no mention of overcoming the problems caused by LSM in places like Baltimore City and Baltimore County

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
X2-TDMA I thought that was the same as phase ll? Atleast they got the LCN for edacs/ltr finder which is good.

bear780ks

I will for Sure Mr.B that Video you showed spoiled me I want one Now.! It will be out about the same time as my B-Day:p

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
TrunkTracker V:
Motorola trunking (type I, II, IIi)
EDACS (Standard and ESK)
Regular LTR
P25, Phase 1 and 2
P25, X2-TDMA

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
No DMR is a huge disappointment.

Too many agencies around here moving to DMR to make this a viable option at that price.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The notion of using a smartphone to control a scanner is very interesting. Would this be one smartphone to one scanner, or could several smartphones control the same scanner.

Where I'm headed in this. Let's say the local TV station has a scanner in their news room. Can all of the reporters out and about covering stories listen/control the scanner back at the station?

Last edited:

teebee

Any mention of how many talkgroups and id's per system will it program or will it now depend on the memory. Trying to store the Louisiana LWIN system on the BCD996T with only 20 talkgroups and 250 id's fills up fast. Would be nice to store every talkgroup and id on the new scanner would be nice.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The notion of using a smartphone to control a scanner is very interesting. Would this be one smartphone to one scanner, or could several smartphones control the same scanner. (In other words, could I control the home scanner on my phone and my wife control the scanner with hers?)

This would be like having two remotes for the same TV - always fighting over the channel. Right? You're trying to listen and she changes it to listen to something else. I don't think that would work very well unless it had two separate tuners which he did not mention. So...doesn't sound feasible or logical to me. Am I thinking about this wrong?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Any mention of how many talkgroups and id's per system will it program or will it now depend on the memory. Trying to store the Louisiana LWIN system on the BCD996T with only 20 talkgroups and 250 id's fills up fast. Would be nice to store every talkgroup and id on the new scanner would be nice.

The BCD996T is several models behind the current design. Technology has improved greatly since then. With all due respect, that's like complaining that you can't load Windows 8 on your Compaq Presario from 1996.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Cool, more Fire Tone Out slots! Up to 32.
Record all, or play back like the HP-1.
Real USB mini connector.

Largest full display on a scanner so far.

bear780ks

Mike I kind of have a Feeling what the Uniden model doesn't have the Whistler one will Maybe have, that way they can balance that out what's missing

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
It's almost as if Paul and his team read my mind on scanner design when this was designed. Sign me up!!

rbm

It has a few things I'd like to have, but it's missing a few that I want.
Maybe some of them will be added later.

I'll get one. (At least one)

I currently have 43 of the current models and wouldn't mind having 17 more to make it an even 60. ;)
They're my 'workhorse' scanners.
So after the holidays, I'll be cruising eBay looking for good deals.

Rich

Edit: By the way, I'd like to know if you can control multiple scanners remotely. If so, maybe I'll get two. ;-) Or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.