BCD536HP Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyPhoto

Jay911 said:
Good lord, why is that such a big deal? Get a cheap Android tablet and mount it in your vehicle. Now (with the wifi feature) you have a remote head.

Exactly! "World without wires". Sounds like a good idea to me...:twisted:

1 - I don't want a big tablet (even 7" tablets are big) that will attract thieves to my car. Even if I lock the tablet every time I leave my car (which will be annoying enough), any mounting bracket will still be visible. Kind along the lines of people having a GPS in their car. Not to mention it would be a flying projectile in an accident.

2 - The tablet needs to be charged, so their goes your "world without wires." Plus since it's very early for speculation, would you be able to control the scanner volume from the app, or does the audio stream to the app? If it's the latter, I'd want an external speaker and not rely on the internal one while driving.

3 - If I were to use my phone, I'd run into a similar situation, or I would be looking down from the road. If I had a fixed remote head you would learn the button positions over time much like your radio or climate control.

4 - A remote head is "always on" and the screen won't time out and shut off. With the GPS features, if you're traveling and are wondering who's talking, you'd have to turn the phone/tablet back on to see who it is.

The phone apps are more for listening to your scanner when you're on a fireground, accident etc and want to listen to what's going on but without lugging a scanner with you.

NYRHKY94

@Lindsay: I'm with kf4lhp on this one. Let's admit it, Phase 2 was no surprise. But not taking the next step and adding "at least" TRBO is a big disappointment. That protocol has spread rapidly across a wide spectrum of the monitoring hobby and shut the door on many of us. To those of us who already have a shack with the 396XT/996XT, it's just not worth it IMO.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Awesome. Lindsay has one of these units at his home already. I bet Uniden floated him one early for testing.

There is a test group, you know - I'm sure a number of RR users are among that group, of course sworn to secrecy (or at least a non-disclosure agreement).

LB3 is going to have some time to listen to that radio considering that his area is in the process of getting 8-12" of snow. When I got out of Kalispell last night (spent half the week there on a public safety conference), the flurries were just starting, but I'd imagine he's buried by now.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As a guy with the same hairstyle as Upman, I can say this with understanding and compassion. . .

Wonder if Upman is wishing right now that he should have let his hair grow out some, making it a little easier to pull out right about now. I'm sure he's thinking about doing so, given that their website isn't responding as quickly as he'd like. It does work, but one has to be patient.

Jay911

Feed Provider
more complaints

So get somebody's 996XT and remote head that they're going to dump in favor of this new radio and be happy, and be done with it.

I had planned to put the 536 on top of my dash, but now I'm mulling over the idea of a tablet with a RAM mount. And if you spend a couple of seconds configuring it, you can keep the display on constantly, and you can power it from a modern vehicle.

I wish I understood why there are so many people who are hell-bent on trashing these radios. If you don't like them, you don't like them. Give it a rest. Especially considering you have a few-minutes-long video to base all your information from, and not the software nor the manual.

Yes, there could be a few things done better. I've said some of them myself. But those of you having tantrums over 3 batteries vs 4 or no $insert_favorite_protocol_here or various other "shortcomings" - some of them laughably unrealistic - are really, really annoying.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
LB3 is going to have some time to listen to that radio considering that his area is in the process of getting 8-12" of snow. When I got out of Kalispell last night (spent half the week there on a public safety conference), the flurries were just starting, but I'd imagine he's buried by now.

We've gotten about a foot so far from last night and it is still snowing. Radio has been pretty quiet so far :)

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No longer have any interest in a PSR-900 or whatever Whistler will call it.

NYRHKY94

Jay911: I would suggest treading lightly here. It's perfectly fine for members to express their opinions about the new models, including their disappointment regarding features/functionality. If it's annoying to you personally.....oh well.

Ersin

I'm with those who want a dedicated control head, vs. the smartphone/tablet app. In a mobile situation if you use your smartphone for the scanner you won't be able to use it with, say Waze. I assume the phone part still works, i.e. receive a call and the scanner app gets put on hold. Besides, I'd rather press buttons than tap on a screen. Call me old fashioned.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Jay911: I would suggest treading lightly here. It's perfectly fine for members to express their opinions about the new models, including their disappointment regarding features/functionality. If it's annoying to you personally.....oh well.

You too are welcome to "tread lightly" - leave the moderating to the moderators. Considering this is supposed to be for discussion about the scanner, my comments are more on topic than those of you who are crapping all over both threads with "No NXDN, count me out!!1!!1eleven!11!!" garbage.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I would like to have seen EDACS w/Provoice included as that's what is in use in my area, but it isn't a deal killer. Still plenty to be excited about. Heck, I'd be happy just for the larger display on both this and the handheld version.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
It's perfectly fine for members to express their opinions about the new models, including their disappointment regarding features/functionality. If it's annoying to you personally.....oh well.

From a moderator's perspective I agree with NYRHKY94.
I am sure Uniden knows that some folks will like the new scanners and their
features and some folks will want more or different features in new scanners.
Both positive and negative aspects about both models are welcome
here as long as we keep the posts civil and not directed at anyone personally.
So feel free to share your opinions yay or nay on the new models. :)
Thanks to everyone for participating!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

radiomanNJ1

Flagship, no sounds like an old freighter.
Nothing new. Phase II that I already have. What makes you think people have to have it?
With broadcastify and phone apps being constantly broadcast on tv causing far more encryption and more to come, maybe those who are drooling will want to wait.
LTR is slowly going away in favor of MotoTrbo and getting the user more bang for their buck why not have that included? NXDN while not in big use (another stupid platform) is something else that should have been there. EDACS, going to sleep in a short time.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
From a moderator's perspective I agree with NYRHKY94.
I am sure Uniden knows that some folks will like the new scanners and their
features and some folks will want more or different features in new scanners.
Both positive and negative aspects about both models are welcome
here as long as we keep the posts civil and not directed at anyone personally.
So feel free to share your opinions yay or nay on the new models. :)
Thanks to everyone for participating!
Marshall KE4ZNR

IMO If you would not have closed the the Uniden is having an Online Party thread down less than an hour after the broadcast, both the 536HP and 336HP threads would have been more on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.