BCD536HP First Firmware Update v1.03.03 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidPandora

If I am happy with scanners current performance should I wait to update firmware?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There are always lot's of little Tweaks they don't talk about in updates like this.. they only talk about the ones they "Think" we are interested in or the ones they saw etc.. If you have not read anything about it BREAKING anyones system beyond the ones that are complaining about Car mount issues yes do it....

LiquidPandora

I have been watching over the past few days that on my 536 the Alert light would blink but I would hear nothing... I thought that was strange but did nothing.. TODAY, it kept doing it and so I turn down the squelch to zero and the Dispatch and the Deputy for the local Sheriff's department where talking... Ya I know your going to say SO, maybe the signal was not strong enough.. it was FULL SIGNAL on both... You see The Dispatch is 1 Block away... and the Deputy was still hitting my 536 with almost a full signal.... It's like I have been saying it's almost as if the 536 is so Overwhelmed:confused with what ever it's doing that at times it forgets to do some of the things it needs to like OPEN the squelch for instance.. the squelch has always been Strange but this took the case.:roll: Feel like a Calibration issue of some kind!.

FYI the Squelch at the time was set to 2 and the Volume at 14.............................................

JamesO

I have been watching over the past few days that on my 536 the Alert light would blink but I would hear nothing... I thought that was strange but did nothing.. TODAY, it kept doing it and so I turn down the squelch to zero and the Dispatch and the Deputy for the local Sheriff's department where talking... Ya I know your going to say SO, maybe the signal was not strong enough.. it was FULL SIGNAL on both... You see The Dispatch is 1 Block away... and the Deputy was still hitting my 536 with almost a full signal.... It's like I have been saying it's almost as if the 536 is so Overwhelmed:confused with what ever it's doing that at times it forgets to do some of the things it needs to like OPEN the squelch for instance.. the squelch has always been Strange but this took the case.:roll: Feel like a Calibration issue of some kind!.

FYI the Squelch at the time was set to 2 and the Volume at 14.............................................

Interesting observation.

I have seen the scanner stop but never have any audio come on.

Not sure if the scanner is still doing this, however, I will check further and try fully opening the squelch and see what happens.

I also think that if you are also actively recording this may tie up the microprocessor even more??

Somewhat agree that the interrupt cycles and running processes get a bit busy from what is seems.

Would be interested to see the firmware code for the scanner does the scanner stop, open squelch then alert or stop, alert then open squelch??

mrkelso

I have seen this squelch thing happen when set from 3 on up and i have just about full signal here. I have observe red it also happen on conventional channels. I also noted some time ago about the volume fading up and down and i still see it but only on Truck systems.

2 cents worth

LiquidPandora

I have seen this squelch thing happen when set from 3 on up and i have just about full signal here. I have observe red it also happen on conventional channels. I also noted some time ago about the volume fading up and down and i still see it but only on Truck systems.

2 cents worth

I Hope that UPMan is paying some kind of attention to this issue.. The Scanner is Dyslexic or something They need to look at it

lawman210

Re: BCD536HP First Maintenance Release v1.03.03 Available

2 cents worth

I have had the scanner stop on channels with no audio/or static as well I just hit the knob to start scanning again. I also have had some departments come throw nearly blowing my eardrums out while closer depts I could barely hear

LiquidPandora

I have had the scanner stop on channels with no audio/or static as well I just hit the knob to start scanning again. I also have had some departments come throw nearly blowing my eardrums out while closer depts I could barely hear

I am starting to think it's Underpowered and or just to Slow to do all that it's being asked to do.... All I know is that is BAD when you sit there in front of your Brand new 600 Dollar Radio and watch it stop and Nothing comes out of the speaker.. and my old 80 Dollar scanner with a little indoor antenna is getting every word out... Something is wrong UpMan!...

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Is this a bug? I have both a 436 and 536. I have the same list loaded in both. I have our local fire department set as Priority. Shows a little P on the screen in front of the service type. I have the 436 locked on that channel, and the 536 scanning. While the local Ambulance service was calling in a patient to the hospital, about a 2 minute transmission, the 436 had 3 transmissions on the fire dispatch channel, and the 536 never jumped off the ambulance to play the priority channel. Only after the dispatch, did I hear the fire department on both scanners. And these are all on the same P25 system.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Most likely the system (on the radio side, not your scanner) is not set up to have that fire channel as a priority channel. If they system does not have it flagged as priority on their side, then the data indicating the channel is active will never appear in the priority channel data on the voice channel, and the scanner will have no way to know that it is active.

W5RGP

BCD536HP First Maintenance Release v1.03.03 Available

Mine doing same after new firmware it's a pita need to at least give us a way to roll back to previous firmware

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Most likely the system (on the radio side, not your scanner) is not set up to have that fire channel as a priority channel. If they system does not have it flagged as priority on their side, then the data indicating the channel is active will never appear in the priority channel data on the voice channel, and the scanner will have no way to know that it is active.

Seriously? I didnt know they had to program their system to make it priority. So them, short of getting them to reprogram their system, there is no way to get the scanner to jump to that channel if its active while something else is going on? Like maybe setting that channel up on its own favorites list? What is strange, is I swear I had the scanner on hold on another channel, and it jumped to the fire channel when they transmitted. Ill have to do some more testing.

Thanks for the info.

whsbuss

I'm not sure what you're saying...... I believe he set the channel/TGID as a priority.

lawman210

Re: BCD536HP First Maintenance Release v1.03.03 Available

Mine doing same after new firmware it's a pita need to at least give us a way to roll back to previous firmware

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine was doing this with initial firmware upgrade out of the box. I have not installed the current revision

davenlr

Premium Subscriber

Ok, followup. On the 436, I am holding on Ambulance Dispatch. It switches to the Fire dispatch when the channel becomes active. On the 536, its holding on the same channel. It does NOT switch channels to the Fire dispatch channel. So the 436 is working the way I would expect, the 536 acts like its not. Unless there is some setting I am missing. Both are using the same favorites list and profile.

Add on: The 536 FINALLY switched, but only after there was no traffic on the hold channel for about 30 seconds.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Couple of questions for you Dave.

Do you have the correct priority setting set? I've read there is a priority non-interrupt and a priority interrupt on these scanners.

Do you have it enabled in both places? I have seen others comment you have to have priority enabled both in the actual channel settings and in your profile.

Don't know if that helps or not but I hope it might.

whsbuss

Ok, followup. On the 436, I am holding on Ambulance Dispatch. It switches to the Fire dispatch when the channel becomes active. On the 536, its holding on the same channel. It does NOT switch channels to the Fire dispatch channel. So the 436 is working the way I would expect, the 536 acts like its not. Unless there is some setting I am missing. Both are using the same favorites list and profile.

Add on: The 536 FINALLY switched, but only after there was no traffic on the hold channel for about 30 seconds.

Quick question..... are these conventional channels or part of a trunked system?

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Couple of questions for you Dave.

Do you have the correct priority setting set? I've read there is a priority non-interrupt and a priority interrupt on these scanners.

Do you have it enabled in both places? I have seen others comment you have to have priority enabled both in the actual channel settings and in your profile.

Don't know if that helps or not but I hope it might.

Off in Profile (believe that is for conventional) If I turn it on, it says nothing to scan.

It is enabled in favorites list (P-Ch ON)

Trunked system

Its working on the 436. Just takes a long time for it to work on the 536, like the 536 is busy doing something else, and forgets to check, or only checks every 30 seconds or so.

Last edited:

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Okay was wondering is all. All these new fangled things on this scanner are confusing as all get out. I know another was that you can have priority channels that won't actually switch to them when traffic occurs.

Sorry it didn't help any.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
No problem Ghstwolf62, Seems its working, just really laggy, so much it misses the transmission. Ill use the 436 for priority since its working ok, and see what happens with the 536. Probably just some subroutine running thats tying up the CPU. Probably will get better with future upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.