BCD536HP First Firmware Update v1.03.03 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I am starting with the 436 but do want to pick up a 536 in the next couple of months or so and having the issue solved would definitely be nice.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Ive been playing with this for a while, and it appears that the 436 and 536 have the same issue. If either is on HOLD on any channel, and the priority channel transmits, they both jump right to it. Be if either one are scanning, and stopped on an active transmission when the priority channel transmits, they DONT switch to the priority channel, they just keep playing the channel they were stopped on. Im trying to catch them on HOLD on a channel while its transmitting and see if they interrupt the transmission to jump to the priority channel.

kb8rvp

BCD536HP First Maintenance Release v1.03.03 Available

Not happy with the firmware update. My BCD536HP was fine running in the car before it never rebooted when I started the car and now it reboots every single time.

Mike

kikito

Premium Subscriber

Ive been playing with this for a while, and it appears that the 436 and 536 have the same issue. If either is on HOLD on any channel, and the priority channel transmits, they both jump right to it. Be if either one are scanning, and stopped on an active transmission when the priority channel transmits, they DONT switch to the priority channel, they just keep playing the channel they were stopped on. Im trying to catch them on HOLD on a channel while its transmitting and see if they interrupt the transmission to jump to the priority channel.

So is this on conventional or trunked?

whsbuss

I read through your original post regarding the priority. Now I get it. So if listening on HOLD the priority channel/TGID, if transmitting, actually switches to that channel. I Assume it stays on the priority channel until the transmission ends..... but while in scan mode and being on anything BUT the priority channel, it never checks and/or switches over. WOW - that's an issue.

UPMan, how about chiming in on this.

kb8rvp

Same for me on the BCD536HP, BCD436HP and my BCD396XT if you have priority set for a TG on a P25 digital system and your holding on a TG they will all switch right away to the priority TG but when scanning they will not. On my PSR-800 priority works fine when scanning.

Mike

whsbuss

Same for me on the BCD536HP, BCD436HP and my BCD396XT if you have priority set for a TG on a P25 digital system and your holding on a TG they will all switch right away to the priority TG but when scanning they will not. On my PSR-800 priority works fine when scanning.

Mike

Never had a 396XT so I would have never known. So if you have a priority TG set and you got a long transmission on another TG, it never gives priority to set TG? When I'm listening, I only HOLD when there's something interesting. Crazy!!

whsbuss

Priority ID Scanning

Well I was confused thinking priority ID and conventional priority worked the same. From pg. 50 of the manual - I stand corrected:

Priority ID Scan – This function is similar to conventional priority although there is no interruption during the transmission. Priority is checked in between transmissions, when the scanner is receiving the control channel, and during the channel delay period. The scanner can only look for priority IDs in the trunked system it is currently scanning.

Preemptive Priority ID Scanning – For Motorola systems that have channel priority active on the system, if you flag a channel as priority and the system also has that TGID identified as a priority channel, the scanner will preempt any current transmission if the TGID becomes active.

The highest priority is for channels in System Quick Key 0. The lowest priority is for channels in System Quick Key 99. Priority for channels in the same Department follows the order in which they were created.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ah...sorry about that. For some reason I missed that you were on a P25 and not Motorola.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I guess it is working correctly then, since it says it only checks "in between transmissions", which if you were scanning, it would stop on anyway, so I guess its fairly useless to set a priority channel at all. I was thinking it would actually check during the transmissions.

LiquidPandora

Something for the next Maintenance Release Firmware?!

Feeling let down, I have noticed that the 536 Has Big Issues at hearing everything... I don't do Trunking so get that out of the way..:confused:

Volume:14 Squelch 2

I have a Grand total of maybe 12 Channels that I listen to day and night... small hillbilly town... Anyway... I have the Alert lights on just for the heck of it and every day but not constantly the 536 Quits scanning and Flashes the Alert light! HEY I FOUND SOMETHING.. But there is Nothing but Silence.. the Squelch doesn't always Open.. I have according to the Sig Strength ALL BARS.. I have this big top of the line new Full wave antenna on the roof... All working Perfectly.. Live less than two Blocks from the Local Dispatch for the Valley.. and all the local Deputy 5's all hit my radio just as hard as the base... I can and frequently hear Stations in other towns 40 miles away.. Perfectly... The 536 seems to have a mind of it's own and just doesn't feel like talking Often. it's as if it's Squelch doesn't know what it's Volume is doing... Iffin ya know what I mean... Daydreaming? who knows.. BUT if you reach up there when the alert light is flashing and turn that Squelch OFF you find out there are people talking 1 Block away... and that little 90 Dollar uniden scanner I got 10 years ago started talking the second they did.. but the 536 is not LISTENING!... It would be so COOL Mr. UPMan if you could be so kind and address this issue.. If it's not always listening then wifi isn't worth much is it.. so I think this should get up high on the list of things to do.. One heck of a good Receiver when it's paying attention to the air waves.... darn good one... Thank you so much :D

kikito

Premium Subscriber

I guess it is working correctly then, since it says it only checks "in between transmissions", which if you were scanning, it would stop on anyway, so I guess its fairly useless to set a priority channel at all. I was thinking it would actually check during the transmissions.

That's why I asked if it was conventional or Trunked since Priority works slightly differently depending. Is not entirely "useless". Since it scans for the Priority FIRST when it initially gets to searching a Trunked site during the scan cycle and then in between transmissions. If there's important but rarely used TGs then you'll get a much bigger chance of hearing them is the way I see it.

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if the 436 has an issue with scanning 800mhz? I work grave and at work last night I was listening to orange county ca fire and the hospital radio network. Also listened till about 11 am. So about 12 hours and was hearing everything fine. Didn't hook it up to the computer or change any settings on the radio. Now tonight for about 45 minutes I was listening but I heard nothing.

connor - wqnd300

nr2d

Premium Subscriber

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Most likely the system (on the radio side, not your scanner) is not set up to have that fire channel as a priority channel. If they system does not have it flagged as priority on their side, then the data indicating the channel is active will never appear in the priority channel data on the voice channel, and the scanner will have no way to know that it is active.

I'm not sure what you're saying...... I believe he set the channel/TGID as a priority.

Trunked systems have a feature called Priority Monitor. Certain talkgroups can be designated as Priority in the system and when they go active they're flagged as such on the control channel data stream and the low-speed data which accompanies an active voice talkgroup. The Uniden scanner is watching for those priority flags in the data; if a talkgroup is not designated as Priority Monitor in the system, there won't be a Priority marker in the data, and the scanner won't see it as active while another talkgroup is being monitored.

whsbuss

How do I go back 1 firmware revision? This new firmware revision has made my reception of my local P25 Phase II system, Camden County Public Safety Trunking System, Camden County, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies, poor to just OK at best. Before this revision I had made the NFM to FM change, I remove any frequency that was not transmitted by the closest site - Lindenwold, set the ATT on for the system and my P25 Phase II was almost 99%.

There is no way to go back. You are among many complaining about the latest firmware.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
There is no way to go back. You are among many complaining about the latest firmware.

Sure there is. It works just like the original Home Patrol.
All you need is to have saved a copy of the previous FW update you did and place that file in the firmware folder of the scanners SD card while the card is in the scanner.
As soon as you unplug the USB cable, it will apply whatever FW version it sees in that folder even if it is an older version.
I did not keep 1.02.07 which I think was the one just before 1.03.03 so maybe someone else will have a copy they can put somewhere.

You can save a copy of the firmware file by checking for FW updates with Sentinel and then when it finds and downloads a new version, it will tell you to unplug the USB cable. Don't do that step yet and instead, use explorer and go into the SD cards drive letter and the firmware folder and save a copy of the .BIN file which will have the radios model and firmware version as part of the name. Once you have that saved, then unplug the USB and the new FW will be installed but you will have a copy as well. Then when the next FW is released and found to break something, you can easily reinstall the copy you saved.

whsbuss

Sure there is. It works just like the original Home Patrol.
All you need is to have saved a copy of the previous FW update you did and place that file in the firmware folder of the scanners SD card while the card is in the scanner.
As soon as you unplug the USB cable, it will apply whatever FW version it sees in that folder even if it is an older version.
I did not keep 1.02.07 which I think was the one just before 1.03.03 so maybe someone else will have a copy they can put somewhere.

You can save a copy of the firmware file by checking for FW updates with Sentinel and then when it finds and downloads a new version, it will tell you to unplug the USB cable. Don't do that step yet and instead, use explorer and go into the SD cards drive letter and the firmware folder and save a copy of the .BIN file which will have the radios model and firmware version as part of the name. Once you have that saved, then unplug the USB and the new FW will be installed but you will have a copy as well. Then when the next FW is released and found to break something, you can easily reinstall the copy you saved.

You may be correct, I hope so. But I remember UPMan saying that was not possible with the x36 and sentinel.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Trunked systems have a feature called Priority Monitor. Certain talkgroups can be designated as Priority in the system and when they go active they're flagged as such on the control channel data stream and the low-speed data which accompanies an active voice talkgroup. The Uniden scanner is watching for those priority flags in the data; if a talkgroup is not designated as Priority Monitor in the system, there won't be a Priority marker in the data, and the scanner won't see it as active while another talkgroup is being monitored.

From the manual

Preemptive Priority ID Scanning – For Motorola systems that have channel priority active on the system, if you flag a channel as priority and the system also has that TGID identified as a priority channel, the scanner will preempt any current transmission if the TGID becomes active.

Status
Not open for further replies.