BCD536HP Headphone Related Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Good one Boatanchor. I feel like I'm at work. I come from a test background and this kind of stuff would have been found before we release it for operational use. A simple comparison would have detected this.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I think its okay to pay 600 dollars for a radio that is really awesome and be the first ones to get the radios and do some testing. I am really okay with it.

Sometimes in life you dont always have to do things to get paid for it. The more you give back in life the more you shall receive. "Thats how it works in Life"

Trust me Uniden as a corporation is not perfect and we put a lot of pressure on them to perform and get these radios out to the general public. They did a fine job. Now if us serious scanner freaks like myself can help them out and find the bugs which is always going to happen on new products then these forums are a perfect place to channel all of this positive information to UPMan and he will get this issue taken care and get this info to the right channels at Uniden.

Overall the radio is really awesome. Its a fine GEM and the people that do not have the radios yet will soon find out when they get them either this week or next week.

I will get my Serial Number sent over tonight on this thread. Got to get back to work so I can afford these expensive toys.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
So how do you guys feel about having to pay $600 for the privilege of doing Uniden's beta testing for them?

I saved $100 on that by buying the handheld. :D

In all seriousness, this is probably the most ambitious and advanced scanner ever made for consumer use. There's bound to be bugs, glitches, odd things and things no one thought to test (such as "hey, what happens if someone installs 5 of these bad boys in a tow truck?") As such, I fully expect to find a bug or two in this radio, which is fine as long as Uniden is committed to fixing them, and it seems to me that they are.

-AZ

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Perhaps my ears are not as sensitive, but my 436 and 536 sound good. I've used earbuds and headphones with both radios now, it doesn't appear to be bad here.

I wonder if it's that wall wart power supply?

Boatanchor

Can anyone lucky enough to own both 436HP and 536HP confirm whether the hiss (white noise) is present on both units, or just the 536HP?

wise871

Database Admin
Dave, you can clearly hear the difference in the above audio. Fortunately for me I never use the headphone jack. I've always been gun shy back when the 996t had the sticky switch and your internal speaker stopped working. I had to send one in to be fixed for that.

Last edited:

mrdinks

Pepsima1 I Love your attitude!
I wish more people on sites like this would look at life the same way instead of always pointing out the negative.

Sent from my wireless world

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Dave, you can clearly hear the difference in the above audio. Fortunately for me I never use the headphone jack. I've always been gun shy back when the 996t had the sticky switch and your internal speaker stopped working. I had to send one in to be fixed for that.

Yes, I hear the difference in the Weather radio recordings. The other PD recordings didn't sound bad to me. Maybe I'm a little more tolerant of the radio noise.

Same antenna on both Weather recordings?

gonzalu

Just updating my post from earlier. Tested same frequency on same antenna on BC125AT, HP-1, BCD996XT and BCD536HP and ONLY the 536 has the background hiss on the headphone jack. Speaker is clean. Also any press of any button, or scrolling, causes the audio to open from full quiet to send the hiss, and then back to quiet.
Firmware screen reads:

Firmware Version
Version 1.02.03
SN37526038002217
SUM=0E2, M-VER= 1

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Hiss is not present on the 436HP

Ditto on the 436HP. As I type, I'm using Apple iPod/iPhone headphones. Squelch closed, no noise. System types, Conventional, P25, Edacs, LTR, No noticeable hum, hiss or white noise with open squelch.

Firmware 1.02.07, S/N #1131, volume setting 4.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Interestingly, I thought the same thing, but ignored it until I could compare it to my HP-1 and 996XT. So I wasn't going nuts.

Are you referring to the 536 or your home patrol?

Wise871, Yes the HP.

I was referring to Gonzalu's comment. He said he compared it to the HP and I found that I was having the same problem with my "loudness" using the headphones. I have it four bars away from full volume while using the HP & Headphones at times.

gonzalu

For transparency, the Frequency used was the NYPD 50th Pct. 476.6625 MHz using a Larsen UHF rubber duck on all three radios (tuned for commercial UHF band)

The 996XT and the 536HP were set to S=4 V=10 ... the HP-1 was set to middle bars for volume. Regardless of the Volume setting on any of the three, the result is the same. The hiss on the 536, while annoying, does not distract enough to disallow listening. It's more that you want a quieter background. It is fatiguing after long hours at the radio.

Does anyone have a preferred method of recording off the headphone jack? I have a few choices but I wanted to keep it as accurate and similar to others as possible.

Microphone to headset earcups isn't working great to reproduce/record the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.