BCD536HP & SD Card Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I do this and I keep getting "SD Card Access Error" when I put it into the scanner, everytime...

Does this happen on a brand new card or one that already had problems?

If old card, may be too far gone to help.

New card: are you using an adapter to go in the computer itself? Can you confirm the write protect switch is in the proper position?

If the above isn't helpful and you experience this on two different cards, re-trace your steps. Pilot error is more likely than one mechanical failure right after another.

blackcloud08

Premium Subscriber
Does this happen on a brand new card or one that already had problems?

If old card, may be too far gone to help.

New card: are you using an adapter to go in the computer itself? Can you confirm the write protect switch is in the proper position?

If the above isn't helpful and you experience this on two different cards, re-trace your steps. Pilot error is more likely than one mechanical failure right after another.

The extreme plus was bought today BUT finally got it to work, the extreme pro was out of a phone I used for about a month. I never got the extreme pro to work. I used the same process on both. Format & name, clear user data, update firmware, write to scanner, place in scanner, i get the error message. The protect switch was is the proper position.

rfsavich

Premium Subscriber
I am also having problems with the SD formatter recognizing my card (I have tried four brand new different manufacturers cards) I can format the card with Windows but SD Formatter refuses to recognize the card. I can't get any of the cards to be recognized in Sentinal either. I have tried external card readers and internal card readers. I am pretty adept with Windows and Windows 10 but I am stumped by this one. I have read the SD Formatter manual and can't find anything I am doing wrong. Any ideas would be appreciated.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are using an adapter card, any chance the little write protect "slider" is set to the write protect position? I've inadvertently done that a time or two and have had a problem. It's pretty easy to do so without intending to.

rfsavich

Premium Subscriber
I have checked to be sure that the card is in the unlock position. I also tried it without the card holder, I have a micro slot, and it wouldn't work either. It will format with windows so I know the card is good. There is something with the program that seems to be causing the problem. I just cant figure it out I have the latest version and the program (Sentinel & SD Formatting) just doesn't recognize the card. I am baffled why it doesn't work. I have run diagnostic after diagnostic and I can't seem to find anything wrong.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have checked to be sure that the card is in the unlock position. I also tried it without the card holder, I have a micro slot, and it wouldn't work either. It will format with windows so I know the card is good. There is something with the program that seems to be causing the problem. I just cant figure it out I have the latest version and the program (Sentinel & SD Formatting) just doesn't recognize the card. I am baffled why it doesn't work. I have run diagnostic after diagnostic and I can't seem to find anything wrong.

Sentinel won't recognize the newly formatted card until you use the "clear user data" process in Sentinel. If the card is in the scanner, be sure you connect to the computer in "mass storage mode"

From the top menu in Sentinel click "scanner", then "clear user data", then be sure to check the box that says "display all drives". Does your card show up there? If so, finish the clear user data process then write to the scanner (or card if in a card reader.)

rfsavich

Premium Subscriber
Let me pose a dumb question

I have been trying to format the SD card in an SD slot in my computer. Do I have to have the card in the BCD536 in order to format it. I have tried to do that in the past with no success but since I can't find any information on a process on how to do it I am a bit confused. I thought that you could install the mini card into a larger SD card, stick it into the computer, open the Sentinel program, and clear the user data. At this point I would expect that the card (and drive) would be visible in the dialog box and you would click on it and download the data. Am I getting this process wrong. Or am I missing a step. Because I have tried six different cards from different manufacturers and nothing seems to work because the card isn't recognized. I am thinking that I am omitting a step or something because I doubt that I would have six bad cards. Can someone help me understand the process. Thanks for all your patience. I don't believe that I am dumb but I feel that I am missing something obvious.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I thought that you could install the mini card into a larger SD card, stick it into the computer, open the Sentinel program, and clear the user data. At this point I would expect that the card (and drive) would be visible in the dialog box and you would click on it and download the data. Am I getting this process wrong. Or am I missing a step.

When you start the clear user data process, are you checking the box in the clear user data window that says "display all drives"?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to format the SD card in an SD slot in my computer. Do I have to have the card in the BCD536 in order to format it. I have tried to do that in the past with no success but since I can't find any information on a process on how to do it I am a bit confused. I thought that you could install the mini card into a larger SD card, stick it into the computer, open the Sentinel program, and clear the user data. At this point I would expect that the card (and drive) would be visible in the dialog box and you would click on it and download the data. Am I getting this process wrong. Or am I missing a step. Because I have tried six different cards from different manufacturers and nothing seems to work because the card isn't recognized. I am thinking that I am omitting a step or something because I doubt that I would have six bad cards. Can someone help me understand the process. Thanks for all your patience. I don't believe that I am dumb but I feel that I am missing something obvious.

You can do this with the SD card in the scanner, if the scanner is connected to the computer and is in Mass Storage mode. However for a large operation like this, I prefer to use a computer card reader. It goes much faster.

Here are the steps:

1. Insert SD card in computer card reader slot (may need an adapter card, which usually comes with the new SD card.
2. When the card is inserted a message appears on the computer screen showing which drive is associated with the card. Note the drive letter. (You may need to use Windows Explorer to determine which drive letter is associated with the SD card as this message appears only briefly. It should be apparent which drive letter is associated with the SD card.)
3. Start the SD Formatter Utility. Select the drive letter where the SD card is located.
4. Click the Format button on SD Formatter and answer OK, which shows up three times during the format process.
5. The third time is a message saying the formatting is complete. After clicking OK, Exit SD Formatter Utility.
6. Start Sentinel
7. Click Scanner>Clear User Data. A pop-up window appears. Check the “Display all drives” box. In the field you should see something like “X:\(Unknown)”. The “X” should be that drive letter associated with the SD card from previous steps. If not already highlighted, click on that X:\(Unknown), then press the OK button.
8. Another pop-up window appears, which is a confirmation that you want to Clear user data. Press OK. Yet another pop-up window appears saying “All information in your scanner will be erases if you proceed”. Click OK.
9. A progress window appears showing the progress of writing the necessary files to the SD card. When completed, a pop-up window appears saying “Finished Clearing User Data”. Click OK.
10. Click Scanner>Write to Scanner. Check the “Erase Favorites Lists on Scanner” and “Force Write Full Database” boxes, then click OK. A pop-up window appears asking you to confirm your actions, click OK. A progress bar window appears. When finished a “Finished writing to scanner” message appears. Click OK.
11. Unmount to SD card using Windows Explorer (eject the SD card), then remove the SD card from the card reader.
12. Re-insert the SD card in the scanner and turn the scanner on.

NK7B

Premium Subscriber
Is there any reason why a 64GB SanDisk card would NOT work in my 356? I have followed the steps exactly as described by blackcloud08 but when I put the card in my scanner and turn it on I always get the message that I need to "Clear Data and Initialize the Card". What gives ?

When I do all of this with a 16GB card, SanDisk, NO PROBLEMS.

Thanks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Is there any reason why a 64GB SanDisk card would NOT work in my 356? I have followed the steps exactly as described by blackcloud08 but when I put the card in my scanner and turn it on I always get the message that I need to "Clear Data and Initialize the Card". What gives ?

Uniden scanners only support cards up to 32GB.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you will be thinking about a new card in place of the 64 GB, be sure you get a "high endurance" card. This type of card handles the almost constant read/write cycles going on with the scanner (audio recording for replay function).

Ubbe

Try to avoid bigger than 32GB SD cards.

They will need some special page/bank flipping techniques that are not standardised and different manufactures handle it differently and are sometimes not compatible with some devices. That's why many devices do not guarantee that they will work with bigger cards than 32GB. I guess Uniden doesn't even try to handle it to avoid problems.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.