BCD536HP & SD Card Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
Is there any reason why a 64GB SanDisk card would NOT work in my 356? I have followed the steps exactly as described by blackcloud08 but when I put the card in my scanner and turn it on I always get the message that I need to "Clear Data and Initialize the Card". What gives ?

When I do all of this with a 16GB card, SanDisk, NO PROBLEMS.

Thanks.

If you format the 64GB card as FAT32 it should work.

budevans

32 GB Partition Limit

If you format the 64GB card as FAT32 it should work.

Just for grins I Googled Fat32 partition limit. The short version is if you do it in Windows, there's a 32 Gig limit. Here's a link to what I found.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Ly.....0.8.716...0j0i13k1j0i8i7i30k1.0.Nocn8Uw84dI

•FAT32 max partition size - 2TB. If you have a 3TB drive, you couldn’t format it as a single FAT32 partition. Please note that you need the help of third-party partition manager to create such a huge partition. If you turn to Windows Disk Management, the largest partition size it helps to create is 32GB, and Extend Volume option is greyed out happens when the partition already occupies 32GB capacity, no matter there is unallocated space following it or not.

Last edited:

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
Just for grins I Googled Fat32 partition limit. The short version is if you do it in Windows, there's a 32 Gig limit. Here's a link to what I found.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Ly.....0.8.716...0j0i13k1j0i8i7i30k1.0.Nocn8Uw84dI

•FAT32 max partition size - 2TB. If you have a 3TB drive, you couldn’t format it as a single FAT32 partition. Please note that you need the help of third-party partition manager to create such a huge partition. If you turn to Windows Disk Management, the largest partition size it helps to create is 32GB, and Extend Volume option is greyed out happens when the partition already occupies 32GB capacity, no matter there is unallocated space following it or not.

May be, I don't use windows to format cards. Some devices only work with FAT32 which is why I sometimes format cards with that format. I have cards up to 200gb that are FAT32. I use the larger cards for hi-res music which is why I need the space.

The card in my SDS100 is 64gb but I can't imagine I will ever need the space. I just had one available so I formatted it as FAT32 so I could use it on the scanner.

budevans

May be, I don't use windows to format cards. Some devices only work with FAT32 which is why I sometimes format cards with that format. I have cards up to 200gb that are FAT32. I use the larger cards for hi-res music which is why I need the space.

The card in my SDS100 is 64gb but I can't imagine I will ever need the space. I just had one available so I formatted it as FAT32 so I could use it on the scanner.

The vast majority of people would never run into that issue. Plus the usable SD Card sizes are listed on page 6 of the owners manual.

If you want to experiment. You could try repartitioning the card to two 32 GB partitions. That's supposed to work for Windows use. If your lucky, the scanner might let you use the first partition. Even then, the second partition would just be a waste of space.

Good Luck.

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
The vast majority of people would never run into that issue. Plus the usable SD Card sizes are listed on page 6 of the owners manual.

If you want to experiment. You could try repartitioning the card to two 32 GB partitions. That's supposed to work for Windows use. If your lucky, the scanner might let you use the first partition. Even then, the second partition would just be a waste of space.

Good Luck.

Again, I don't use Windows to format but I have many (~20) large cards greater than 32gb formatted as FAT32. They are all a single partition. They work on all devices I've tried them on including the SDS100 & BCD436HP.

Attached is an example. Note: The created date is not correct. Don't know where that came from.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 7.56.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 7.56.11 PM.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 53
Status
Not open for further replies.