BCD996P2 loses USB communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
jonwienke,
What actually is happening is when the computer reboots, the scanner loses connection. Only way to resolve problem is power cycling the scanner.

Problem is with all BCD996P2. It's easy to replicate problem. Just reboot computer and scanner stops communicating. Not limited to a specific set of hardware or drivers.

{edit} The way we get around the problem is utilize the rear port.

My one and only serial port is dedicated for a 996XT. So for now at least, I need to use the front USB port on the 996P2. I guess I can add a multi-port RS232 serial PCI card if I need to.

I wonder if this is something Uniden could resolve with a firmware update?

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
I installed 2 different USB RS232 to DB9 Female Adapter Null Modem Cable.. the scanner can be controlled from ProScan but it jumps around on channels not holding... if I close the Proscan everything works fine when scanning holding on channels.

I have latest drivers on win10 for USB RS232 to DB9. Baud rate set to 115,200 on scanner, com port driver.

Thoughts?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I installed 2 different USB RS232 to DB9 Female Adapter Null Modem Cable.. the scanner can be controlled from ProScan but it jumps around on channels not holding... if I close the Proscan everything works fine when scanning holding on channels.

I have latest drivers on win10 for USB RS232 to DB9. Baud rate set to 115,200 on scanner, com port driver.

Thoughts?

As you can see by this thread this is a long ongoing problem that no one apparently will admit to or attempt to resolve. My workaround to the problem was to buy a USB male-female extension cable. When the problem occurs I unplug the two cables from each other and plug them back in. At that point the computer beeps and the USB port detects the scanner. Then you have to tell Proscan again which port to use. It's a pain in the butt, but it saves wear and tear on the scanner's On/Off switch and the USB connectors on the scanner and the computer. :rolleyes:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

Thoughts?

I'm willing to bet that you have the Resume Scan/Search on. The function is located at the upper right side of the program.

As you can see by this thread this is a long ongoing problem that no one apparently will admit to or attempt to resolve. My workaround to the problem was to buy a USB male-female extension cable. When the problem occurs I unplug the two cables from each other and plug them back in. At that point the computer beeps and the USB port detects the scanner. Then you have to tell Proscan again which port to use. It's a pain in the butt, but it saves wear and tear on the scanner's On/Off switch and the USB connectors on the scanner and the computer. :rolleyes:

I've looked at this very problem before. The problem is when using the front USB port, the scanner doesn't respond to answer-back polls after the computer has been rebooted. Only way to get the scanner communicating is a scanner power cycle or reconnecting USB cable.

Using the rear DB-9 port along with a null modem adapter will not have this problem.

Last edited:

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
I'm willing to bet that you have the Resume Scan/Search on. The function is located at the upper right side of the program.

I've looked at this very problem before. The problem is when using the front USB port, the scanner doesn't respond to answer-back polls after the computer has been rebooted. Only way to get the scanner communicating is a scanner power cycle or reconnecting USB cable.

Using the rear DB-9 port along with a null modem adapter will not have this problem.
Bob you are a genius... I spent over 2 hours troubleshooting and have never seen this behavior prior to moving from the USB front port use to the rear DB-9 port with ProScan. Didn't even know that resume scan search setting existed or how it even got turned on. In any case, glad it was an easy fix, attached screenshot for others if they had this behavior, and happy to report both DB-9 to USB Null modem adapters work perfect!!

Appropriate setting - Resume Scan/Search = OFF

Now my Win10 machine running Proscan can weather the frequent patch and reboots... with the scanner re-establishing its connection to Proscan without having to power cycle the 996p2.

Thank you again and for making solid software to control our Uniden scanners

Attachments

• ResumeScanSearch-Instant.JPG
    ResumeScanSearch-Instant.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.