BCD996P2 loses USB communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSHastings

I have recently purchased a BCD996P2, and have successfully programmed a conventional system into it with ScanPro. I leave it running at all times, connected to a 64bit Win 10 PC using the front USB port.

Everything works fine, until the computer times out and goes to sleep. Upon waking the computer, the communications with the BCD996P2 has become messed up.

The software sees that the scanner is there, but no data is being communicated. Nothing is displayed, and no controls function.

ScanPro tech support assures me that it is a problem with the USB driver/firmware in the scanner, and not a problem with ScanPro.

I tend to believe that, because nothing done on the computer clears the problem. The only thing that works, is power cycling the scanner.

ScanPro says they have seen this problem with the BCD996P2 before.

Anyone else have this problem? What are the odds that Uniden will respond and fix the driver?

Thanks,
Greg

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
You should check your power settings. Make sure USB Selective Suspend is set to Disabled.

Attachments

• USB.png
    USB.png
    29 KB · Views: 680

GSHastings

I've disabled USB Selective Suspend, but that doesn't fix the problem. The communication is broken when the computer snoozes. Power cycling the scanner fixes it right away, so it's not a huge problem.
Thanks,
Greg

kf5bti

I have a similar problem with a 996P2, Windows 10 and Freescan. I typically unplug and plug the usb cable and it reconnects. Mine looses connection randomly, sometimes in a few hours, sometimes in a few days. I just changed the setting above to see if it improves my situation.

JamesO

I've disabled USB Selective Suspend, but that doesn't fix the problem. The communication is broken when the computer snoozes. Power cycling the scanner fixes it right away, so it's not a huge problem.
Thanks,
Greg

I guess why let the computer "snooze", I leave mine on 7x24.

But also realize there are multiple sleep/snooze/hibernate modes. Also often there are driver problems with the USB or the machine BIOS.

Also go in power options and see what choices there are.

This does not sound like a scanner problem, but a computer/configuration/use problem.

GSHastings

I'm convinced it is in the radio USB driver, and not the computer. Everything has been tried on the computer side to revive the communication:

Restarting the computer, removing USB driver and letting the system redetect and install, disabling USB Selective Suspend, unplugging and reconnecting the USB cable, etc. have no effect.

Once the communication gets disrupted, the ONLY thing that re-established communication is power cycling the scanner.

Having the computer go into sleep mode is appropriate for our purposes. The computer can sit for hours and days unused (although it is usually used some every day).

It's a very minor problem, and easy to fix with a quick off/on of the scanner. But it does indicate that there is a bug in the firmware on the scanner that needs to be corrected.

Thanks All,
Greg

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm convinced it is in the radio USB driver, and not the computer. Everything has been tried on the computer side to revive the communication:

Restarting the computer, removing USB driver and letting the system redetect and install, disabling USB Selective Suspend, unplugging and reconnecting the USB cable, etc. have no effect.

Once the communication gets disrupted, the ONLY thing that re-established communication is power cycling the scanner.

Having the computer go into sleep mode is appropriate for our purposes. The computer can sit for hours and days unused (although it is usually used some every day).

It's a very minor problem, and easy to fix with a quick off/on of the scanner. But it does indicate that there is a bug in the firmware on the scanner that needs to be corrected.

Thanks All,
Greg

Hi Greg,
The only thing that will solve the problem in your case is using the rear RS-232 port. A null modem adapter is needed which is nothing more than a cable or DB9 M-F adapter crossing pins 2 and 3

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Interesting thread as I recently picked up a 996p2 and experienced the same problem.

Communications between Proscan and the scanner ceased. Reinstalled the drivers, started in safe mode, changed com ports, cables and even computers but no luck. Tried using Putty to see if the scanner was putting anything out but saw nothing. Wasted a lot of time trying to get it working again.

Just happened to change display modes and it started working again.

A few hours later and the same thing occurred. This time tried using another computer and it worked as soon as I plugged the usb cable in. Moved it back to the original computer and it worked. Happened again and this time I just unplugged the cable and plugged it back in again and it started working.

Not sure what's going on but it seems to be something with the scanner and not the computers.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I've ran a win10 pp6p2 setup for over 25 hrs with Proscan and no issues. But.... I guarantee I've went through every iteration possible to keep anything from timing out. It's an older laptop - but spent a few years tweaking it.

Also , fwiw, have a 325p2 Win7 setup that run 24/7 and has for months into Pro96comm. It's my workhorse weather machine and been running for 3-4 years with only 1 or 2 re-boots.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Also , fwiw, have a 325p2 Win7 setup that run 24/7 and has for months into Pro96comm. It's my workhorse weather machine and been running for 304 years with only 1 or 2 re-boots.

You time-traveled that machine back to 1712???

kmi8dy

this is what works for me. i have a windows 10, 64 bit system: go to your control panel, under systems and security, then one right click at power options, one right click on blue phrase " change when the computer sleeps select " never " with all 4 selections. done

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I guess I am the lucky one My PROSCAN PC is a Dell 755 optiplex, Xeon quad core CPU, 8 GB Ram, Win 7 Pro 64, 6 USB Sound Cards, Running PROSCAN 8 times,
#1 Uniden BC785D. #2 Uniden BCT15. #3 Uniden BCT15X. #4 Uniden BCT15X #5 Uniden BCD996P2 #6 Uniden BCD996P2 #7 Uniden BCD536HP #8 Uniden 536HP
With a BCD436HP and a Uniden BC346XT.
CPU load is 30% Used Ram 6 GB

Goldstar0971

I have a similar problem with 996xt. It looses connectivity for data flow. Only way to solve is restart computer. Does anyone know what the port settings should be? I am using a USB to serial adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I can tell you that my problem has absolutely nothing to do with the usb port on my computers sleeping. This occurs on freshly booted computers and I've tried disabling and reenabling usb ports with no change.

I'm pretty convinced it's the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.