BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quadman65

Hello everyone
I could use some help and advise. I am buying a scanner BCD996P2 and would like to know is this a good scanner for my area? I live in Nebraska ,and i would like to hear everything Fire,Police, Gov, City and so on.. I am new at this so bare with me please. When I do buy this scanner where do I get the right software to program it ?
Thanks John

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Don't know exactly where in Nebraska you are but I will say the BCD996P2 is a great scanner and I highly recommend it. I have one now and I am thinking of purchasing another one in the near future.

I used to use Freescan for my scanners but then I switched over to ProScan to program my scanners. I Love ProScan and would recommend downloading and trying it out. Unfortunately, you do have to pay for the program but I feel it is much better. Honesty and I may be wrong but I think ProScan has more features to offer then FREEscan and I find ProScan to be a little bit easier to use. ProScan

Quadman65

Don't know exactly where in Nebraska you are but I will say the BCD996P2 is a great scanner and I highly recommend it. I have one now and I am thinking of purchasing another one in the near future.

I used to use Freescan for my scanners but then I switched over to ProScan to program my scanners. I Love ProScan and would recommend downloading and trying it out. Unfortunately, you do have to pay for the program but I feel it is much better. Honesty and I may be wrong but I think ProScan has more features to offer then FREEscan and I find ProScan to be a little bit easier to use. ProScan
Thanks So proscan will show me area's it receives

Bob1955

Hello everyone
I could use some help and advise. I am buying a scanner BCD996P2 and would like to know is this a good scanner for my area? I live in Nebraska ,and i would like to hear everything Fire,Police, Gov, City and so on.. I am new at this so bare with me please. When I do buy this scanner where do I get the right software to program it ?
Thanks John
John-I would highly recommend you to purchase this from Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and their toll free number is 1-877-568-7226. Ask for Paul there as he's the MOST knowledgeable guy there. Tell him that your from Nebraska, what you want to listen to too. They don't charge sales tax and also ship all digital scanners free of charge. Also, their current price on that is $341.90. This is the BEST price out there and also a great outfit to deal with too. My friend purchased a complete Bearcat BCD-436HP with the better (3) AA rechargeable batteries along with the carrying case too. It shipped fast, the inside display box was clean and NOT a re-pack. I also feel you should pay them to program this scanner unless you want to spend hours setting this up. It is fairly easy to program in conventional systems. Hope this help you out sir.

Quadman65

Thanks for your help and advice in my earlier post (y)So today I get my Uniden BCD996P2 Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner and I have never used scanner software or programmed a scanner:confused:. I have read a little on programming BCD996P2 and about the two softwares Freescan and proscan I get the idea of the software but would like some step by step setup help to get it right the first time .

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Quad, this article from our wiki will give you links to everything you will need to know (note that both here and the wiki, all links are in blue)

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Program_your_DMA_Scanner

One correction that I need to apply to this article - the P2 scanners come with their own USB cable (and there is a separate driver for them).

There is an Easier to Read manual for this radio - it is linked at the bottom of the above article.

Take your time - there are a lot of options to be programmed. Start with one or two systems first, before you try to do too much. Save as you go so that if you mess up - and we all do it - you can revert back to a previous profile that was working. In other words, set up 1 or 2 systems, then when you get that working, back it up and store it away. Then go onto adding more stuff that you want to hear.

Mike

scosgt

You do need the drivers. But it is a standard USB micro cable unless you know something the rest of us do not.

Quadman65

Quad, this article from our wiki will give you links to everything you will need to know (note that both here and the wiki, all links are in blue)

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Program_your_DMA_Scanner

One correction that I need to apply to this article - the P2 scanners come with their own USB cable (and there is a separate driver for them).

There is an Easier to Read manual for this radio - it is linked at the bottom of the above article.

Take your time - there are a lot of options to be programmed. Start with one or two systems first, before you try to do too much. Save as you go so that if you mess up - and we all do it - you can revert back to a previous profile that was working. In other words, set up 1 or 2 systems, then when you get that working, back it up and store it away. Then go onto adding more stuff that you want to hear.

Mike
I downloaded freescan set my location and choose my groups fire/police/hospital so on unboxed my scanner plugged in my cable it found new hardware i.e usb port turned on my scanner uploaded my freq's no problem the scanner is showing the county's i uploaded but hear nothing and it does not stop on any channel it also displays id scan and the letters NFM :oops: sql and vol are up signal strength bouncing between half and full the p25err rate is blank

To change to "ID Search" - Press in the Silver Knob and press "Scan/Search" button.

Let us know if that helps.

Quadman65

Well Iam not sure what worked :rolleyes:I moved it to an outside wall near a window and change to "ID Search" and Press in the Silver Knob and press "Scan/Search" button. I am getting 1 channel out of like 60 and it's the hospital furthest away from me :) Time for a break and I will take any fine tuning ideas ...Thanks Guys

wtp

yes, we also forget to ask if it was turned on with an antenna on it....
you could even try it outside, weather permitting.
down here it is not too bad.
put those snow tires on.

Status
Not open for further replies.