BCD996T and shortwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollo

I am new to scanners and have recently purchased a Uniden BCD996T scanner and was wondering if I can get shortwave on this thing. I dropped quite a bit of coin on the scanner and was hoping I wouldn't have to buy an additional radio to hear shortwave. Has anybody been successful at picking up shortwave on the BCD996t Uniden?

SAR923

No, you can't pick up any shortwave with the 396. It's not meant to be used as a shortwave radio. Uniden made the BR330, which does cover shortwave, but it's very basic with no SSB and the sensitivity and selctivity leave a lot to be desired. You can get decent shortwave radios for less than $100.

KJ4FWA

the 996 has a scanning section in it thats labled HAM but I never got anything but I was using a stock antenna, I'm putting up a 60' mast with a few antenna on it, if you want to know if I pick up anythign with it, shoot me a PM eh?

SAR923

The ham band is probably 144 Mhz to 148 Mhz, That's up in the VHF FM range and has nothing to do with shortwave. You should be able to pick up local ham repeaters with the small telescoping antenna that came with the 996. Sometimes the ham band isn't very busy but most repeaters will come on the air about every half hour and identify themselves. If you need an antenna 60' in the air to pick one of these up, something is seriously wrong with your radio.

gcgrotz

The HAM search on the 396 (and 996 I assume) covers various FM channels at 29, 52-54, 144-148 and 430 MHz. It takes a long time for it to search through all of them. If there are any ham repeaters out there in your world, sooner or later one will become active. Try searching in the early evening or during "drive time". Shouldn't need a big antenna in most cases.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.