BCD996T Died - Or the AC adaptor has....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosnip

I purchased my BCD996T on June 15th, so I have had it less than a month.

It has been working great, right up until yesterday afternoon. I noticed that it was beeping every few minutes, so I started watching it. I noticed that it is powering itself on and off.

It will shut down, then restart itself. The first 2 power up screens come up, it beeps, then it shuts itself off. If you watch the screen when it is coming on there is a slight flickering to it.

We plugged it into our car and it came right on, so I guess it must be the AC adaptor.

I called Uniden, explained the problem and they are sending me a new adaptor, but the problem is they are backordered and I was told that it may take 6 weeks before they come in. UGHHHHHHH.

I went to a couple hardwares in town to get a 13.6 v AC adaptor to use for now and not a single place carries them - all I could find were 12 v.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these for a reasonable price? (Uniden said they run $37.00!)

I am about ready to just return the scanner where I bought it and get a whole new one if it is going to take 6 weeks to just get the dang AC adaptor.

I know other people have a had similar problems with the adaptors and I was wondering if anyone has determined if it is the adaptor itself or the Scanner frying the adaptor?

~Michelle

mancow

Database Admin
Man, just go to radioshack and get a 12V or use that one you found.

Believe me, it won't matter that much. They are built with a fairly wide tolerance so they can be used mobile.

Just make sure it's rated at 12 Volts and try to find something that's fairly close to 1000 mAh. You will probably get by with 500 mAh just fine.

Don't let something that simple stall you. It's not that critical.

Just pay attention to the polarity and make sure the tip has the center as + and you will be fine.

nosnip

Thank you!

I have an adaptor here that fits, and it is a 12V, but the mAh is 1200. Do you think that would be ok to use?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
nosnip said:
Thank you!

I have an adaptor here that fits, and it is a 12V, but the mAh is 1200. Do you think that would be ok to use?

That should work fine as long as it is the same tip size and polarity as Mancow mentioned.

nosnip

The tip matches, it has the slot cut in it just like the original adaptor and the polarity markings on each match exactly, so I gues I am good to go!

I plugged it in a little while ago and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks guys!

~Michelle

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Don't forget to let Uniden know about the power supply problem. I'm sure they will send you a new one.

Go-24

Second that, let Uniden replace the faulty adapter - if thats what it is.

RISC777

Mine blew. Radio doesn't appear to have received any damage.

Using a RShack I had bought for a network switch...tip isn't even the specifically correct size, but it works. 12V 300mA adapter.

And, yup, Uniden gets to replace the adapter. And Belkin and APC get to pay for it all via their guarantees.

Status
Not open for further replies.