BCD996T PC to scanner download problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio126

I have created a system on my PC and am having problems downloading it to my scanner. Anyone have experience with this and have any suggestions? It is much faster to use the PC than the scanner buttons.

Thanks

pboy

Are you using the Uniden programming software?

If so, at what point in the uploading procedure are you experiencing the problems?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Check out the help file in the software...but if you are getting an error message, 99% of the time it means you haven't set the COM port in UASD to match the serial port you plugged the cable into (this is in the help file, too).

radio126

PC to scanner

I downloaded the software from the website. I'm able to put in the information to start scanning. How do I get the info from the PC to the scanner? When I try to "write" it doesn't work.

Thank you.

pboy

Need to see if your serial port to scanner connection is working at all.

What happens when you choose Scanner View or Online Control?

If you get message that scanner is not connected, you need to check COM port settings.

SQUAD5

Try setting up your scanner in remote mode because if you don't you will be unable to program your scanner through the PC

pboy

SQUAD5 said:
Try setting up your scanner in remote mode because if you don't you will be unable to program your scanner through the PC
True for older model Unidens.

Not so for 396 or 996.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Try setting up your scanner in remote mode because if you don't you will be unable to program your scanner through the PC

I was able to program the 996 with the software set to a higher speed than the comm port, but the software would generate a "list index out of bounds" error message when I tried to use the online control feature.

Radio126 - since it hasn't been mentioned yet, make sure you are trying to write the system file to the scanner ALONG WITH a configuration file.

The configuration file tells the scanner what the general settings are, but also includes which system files are to be loaded to the scanner.

If you are trying to load the system file separately, it will not work without a new or modified configuration file.

Jeff Multer

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
jeffmulter said:
>>

I was able to program the 996 with the software set to a higher speed than the comm port, but the software would generate a "list index out of bounds" error message when I tried to use the online control feature.

Jeff Multer

Jeff--I didn't know you were going to get a 996...dangit son you are just tempting me to purchase one...you and I gotta stop this everytime a new radio comes out we gotta buy it thing :D
BTW: GO CANES!!!!!!
Marshall KE4ZNR

radio126

Figured it out

I, or rather my wife, figured out how to get things to work. After you create a system and configuration you go to "systems" on the configuration editor. Then you add your system to the database. Once you do that you can "write to scanner".

Thank you for all the help. Can't wait to test 996 out.

jeffmulter

>> Jeff--I didn't know you were going to get a 996...dangit son you are just tempting me to purchase one...you and I gotta stop this everytime a new radio comes out we gotta buy it thing.

In my home, the Mrs. worries more about me coming home with another dog than she worries about another scanner. Scanners don't have to be fed twice a day, they don't make a "mess" in the house, and they don't have to be boarded when you go on vacation ... they can come with you !

Marshall - the 996 is a "gotta-have" scanner. It might be overkill for some, but, in an area like Raleigh area, it really fits the requirements.

As a mobile scanner, the only things I'd change would be the display (make it larger, and bring back the "mask" feature) and the volume / "on" control (I would have preferred a push button "on" with a preset volume level).

I've been planning on this purchase since the end of 2005. The 996 comes closest to meeting my requirements for replacing the three modified 2006 scanners I use for conventional searching.

There is also the added bonus of conducting trunked control channel searches with the 996 at home, and logging system I-Ds via the UASD software. I can do this with the 396, but prefer to maintain that scanner for travel use.

I was doing some high-altitude control channel monitoring on a trip back from Tampa a couple of weeks ago, and it was cool to briefly have the 396 lock onto a system AND I-D it ... caught Savannah, Univ of Ga / Athens, Sumter, numerous Palmetto sites, and alot of systems that were not identified because their I-D is not in the RR database.

Evenutally, I would like to acquire a couple more 996 scanners ... or whatever model comes next.

I'm also still in the market for a 2 m / 70 cm handheld.

And, I'm always on the lookout for another dog who needs a home !

Jeff

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
Jeff --

I have a German Shepherd that Id gladly part with for your 996... What are the features of it, bear with me as it is sunday morning and I am too lazy to look it up...

Cheers

jeffmulter said:
>> Jeff--I didn't know you were going to get a 996...dangit son you are just tempting me to purchase one...you and I gotta stop this everytime a new radio comes out we gotta buy it thing.

In my home, the Mrs. worries more about me coming home with another dog than she worries about another scanner. Scanners don't have to be fed twice a day, they don't make a "mess" in the house, and they don't have to be boarded when you go on vacation ... they can come with you !

Marshall - the 996 is a "gotta-have" scanner. It might be overkill for some, but, in an area like Raleigh area, it really fits the requirements.

As a mobile scanner, the only things I'd change would be the display (make it larger, and bring back the "mask" feature) and the volume / "on" control (I would have preferred a push button "on" with a preset volume level).

I've been planning on this purchase since the end of 2005. The 996 comes closest to meeting my requirements for replacing the three modified 2006 scanners I use for conventional searching.

There is also the added bonus of conducting trunked control channel searches with the 996 at home, and logging system I-Ds via the UASD software. I can do this with the 396, but prefer to maintain that scanner for travel use.

I was doing some high-altitude control channel monitoring on a trip back from Tampa a couple of weeks ago, and it was cool to briefly have the 396 lock onto a system AND I-D it ... caught Savannah, Univ of Ga / Athens, Sumter, numerous Palmetto sites, and alot of systems that were not identified because their I-D is not in the RR database.

Evenutally, I would like to acquire a couple more 996 scanners ... or whatever model comes next.

I'm also still in the market for a 2 m / 70 cm handheld.

And, I'm always on the lookout for another dog who needs a home !

Jeff

jeffmulter

For those who don't know him, "UP Man" is Paul Opitz, the person at Uniden behind the recent additions to the Uniden scanner lineup (as well as some other Uniden products). Paul can also take credit for the Radio Shack Pro 96, from his days with that company.

Thanks, Paul, for your input in this and other RR forums, and well as the lists on Yahoogroups !

Robby - In a nutshell, imagine being able to program every channel related to public safety in Onslow County, as well as the surrounding counties, in one scanner ... and still have loads of room for other programming.

That's the advantage of the Uniden BCD396T (handheld) and BCD996T (base / mobile) scanners.

"Banks" have been replaced by a much-more-efficient memory allocation setup based on "systems."

For about the same price online as the 396T, the 996T also includes a GPS feature. With an optional serial GPS receiver, the scanner can be programmed to turn systems on and off as you travel.

Plus, Uniden has free software online to program and operate these scanners.

BTW Robby ... thanks for the offer, but we already have two adopted dogs that are part shepherd. One is part Australian Shepherd, and the other is part German Shepherd.

Jeff Multer

Status
Not open for further replies.