BCD996T Scan speed too slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k46tank

I have a question about my 996t. This scanner is still very new to me and I am trying to get used to the new bankless memory, so bare with me. It seems like it scans much slower than my BC785d did. One of the systems I have programmed is the UAMS TRS. It only has three freqs (855.9625, 855.4625, 854.9625) and two groups (Police, Maintenance). Each of these groups only has one channel with one talk group each, (Police-UAMS Police-TGID 1680) and (Maintenance-Maintenance-TGID 80). The Maintenance group is locked out. I have the Modulation set to Auto, the Attenuation set to Off, the Hold set to 0, and the C-Ch set to ON. There may be one TGID saved in the Quick Save but it is locked out. When scanning, it shows UAMS TRS along the top and S9 - - 3 - 5 - - - 9 - and GRP* - - - - - - - - - at the bottom of the screen.

When the scanner hits this system it takes approximately 4 seconds to scan through it. This would be the time it takes for UAMS TRS to appear on the screen until it disappears. I would think that it would scan through this system so fast that it would hardly be noticeable. Some of the larger sites I have programmed seem to scan quicker than this.

Please be gentle on me...like I said I am new to this scanner and I may very well have something entered wrong. :confused:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If it is a trunked system, the scanner has to stay on the system's control channel long enough to get a full list of active channels on the system. This takes from 1-2 seconds.

If this is not a trunked system, you have the system hold time set to 4 seconds (most people set all systems to 0 seconds).

k46tank

Hi UPMan,

You are either up very late or very early. I'm working a midnight shift and didn't really expect any responses until tomorrow.

Yes, it is a trunked system. I have the hold time set to zero. It just seemed like on the 785 it scanned through much quicker. Now that I think about it, I don't think I had it programmed into the 785 as Control Channel only. Would that make much of a difference in speed?

Tank

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Up late.

Another thing to check: if your squelch is set too low, it will cause the scanner to step through each channel much more slowly on its way to finding the control channel.

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i never knew that upman.. i thought squelch didnt matter on trunking sytems. damn i learn something new everyday.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It doesn't matter once the CC is acquired. But, it can slow down CC acquisition substantially (spending maybe 100 mS per frequency instead of 10 mS per frequency). If there are many non-CC frequencies entered "ahead of" the actual control channel, it can really add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.