Bcd996xt basic help

Status
Not open for further replies.

intoledo

I just bought the BCD996XT and had it programmed by a radio tech of many years experience. I admit this scanner way over my head and I am afraid of erasing $40 worth of programming.
Will the software Freescan back up what I have now? Does Freescan work with Windows 10?
Although there is a db9 cable in the box I suppose I need a special USB cable?
When I scan, I see on the display screen on the lower left it says S0: and below it says GRP. While stepping through the channels I saw the S0: go to S1: and there were frequencies programmed there but during scan it just scans S0: do I press something to make it scan further?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I just bought the BCD996XT and had it programmed by a radio tech of many years experience. I admit this scanner way over my head and I am afraid of erasing $40 worth of programming.
Will the software Freescan back up what I have now? Does Freescan work with Windows 10?
Although there is a db9 cable in the box I suppose I need a special USB cable?
When I scan, I see on the display screen on the lower left it says S0: and below it says GRP. While stepping through the channels I saw the S0: go to S1: and there were frequencies programmed there but during scan it just scans S0: do I press something to make it scan further?

Yes, FreeScan can back up your programming quite easily and will work on Win10. However the issue is that you do indeed need a USB-serial cable that is Win10 compatible. Unfortunately Windoze10 is very sensitive to driver issues (read: it's a royal pain in the rump), so I'd suggest getting the USB1 cable from someplace like Scanner Master. And pay strict attention to using the correct driver, which must be loaded and installed BEFORE connecting the cable.

You will also need to set up the 996XT with selections from the operating menu - Freescan's user guide has this in detail, found here....

Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC - The RadioReference Wiki

This scanner uses what is known as DMA technology, based on Systems, sites and groups. Your description suggests that someone set up a system in a System Quick Key number 0. Now before you go and start pulling your hair out (heh), we have an article in our wiki that will help. It has lots of links, and perhaps the most important, are the Easier to Read manuals that are listed on the bottom.

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

I'd suggest just getting one system working at a time, learn what and how to assign quick keys and what they are for- then when you are ready, move onto another one. If you back up your programming as you go, you will be able to restore to your last working session if you mess something up (and we've all done it, so don't feel bad if you do)

Mike

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
intoledo you can also just program it by HAND. THat's right, all u need to do is know how to push buttons- you can do that. Not sure what your deal is there but I just chose "Sandusky". http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2111 Their system is P25- an easy one. Menu, program, well go here Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual I have this same scanner, and was told by all here I had to "learn all the systems" and become a scanner genius in order to program it- you do NOT need to learn all there is, I got tired of reading and just started on the Menu and entered in what I wanted to hear, which was police/fire frequencies. I did not invest in the dongle to connect the scanner to the computer. After owning it for a full 3 months (couple yrs ago that is) I got sick and tired of being too afraid to touch it, and buckled down did it by hand. It did not take very long to do at all, in fact was fun, because now I can hear all the frequencies I care too, and didn't have to connect the scanner to anything. Don't be afraid to push buttons on your scanner. You won't break it. Whatever you input, you can delete also there is a "complete reset" trick to put it back to how it was when you bought it in that how to site. Good luck. If I were in your area I would be glad to help you myself, but I am not in your state.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I concur with post 2. Once you get everything up and running, you might "read" your scanner with Freescan and save the file. Then exit Freescan and use your Windows Explorer to locate and make a copy of the file generated by Freescan. That might give you a little comfort in knowing you have a backup copy of the program to recover orginal programming.

intoledo

Still don't get it, sorry

I read over guides and I am missing the answer to a question. When I hit scan the scanner scans s0 1 through 0 and each grp. There is stuff programmed in s1 and s2 and maybe further but I can't find how to get to it and scan whatever is in there. I can see what's in s1 if I press hold during the scan of s0 and turn the function knob and step through everything that is programmed in s1, s2. If I stop on a frequency step in s1 and press the scan button, it goes back to scanning s0 only. How do I scan s1,s2 etc?

MFD4305

Two Ideas

Did you use software to program the scanner? If so, you can review what's in every system ("S") in that program.
Meanwhile, to "activate" or "turn on" any given System, press the corresponding number key on the front panel; pressing it again will turn that particular System "off." For System numbers above 9, press ".No" first, then the two corresponding number keys.

HTH

intoledo

I had a tech program this scanner and I do not have any means of connecting the scanner to my computer.
While scanning I see s0 and the numbers 1-0 and the scanner scans each number and each group and starts all over again. If I was to press a number from the keypad like number 1, then the scanner skips whatever was on 1 and just scans from 2-0. If I press 1 again then it unlocks 1 again. I am guessing there must be like two things to press so I can scan s1, s2, etc maybe like function 1 or something like that?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Read the Easier To Read Manual linked in post #3 namely the section covering "Quick Keys".

You can also purchase the USB cable from ScannerMaster and use the FreeScan software to connect it to your computer.

That is the problem with having a second party program the scanner. You miss out on learning how to operate it, and if a frequency or system is changed, or a update is needed you will have to change the programming yourself.

MFD4305

Meanwhile...

Intoledo,
I completely agree with the excellent advice, above. While you're waiting for the cable to arrive, you can see just what/how many 'S'ystems are programmed into your scanner by pressing 'Menu' then 'E-yes' on "Program System" then scrolling thru the various systems listed using the function/scroll knob. Note the 'S'ystem numbers for each.
Now you can access any or all programmed 'S'ystems using the steps I outlined yesterday. If a 'S'ystem is locked-out it will be unlocked; if it is unlocked it will be locked out. Think of the process I outlined yesterday as toggling an on/off switch.

HTH

intoledo

i appreciate people trying to help me but I sure stepped in a bucket here. Seems like when I turned 65 anything technical I buy I come up with odd problems or questions no one can answer. I think I will take the scanner back to the tech and have him show me what I am trying to do. I am quite sure I didn't post the question here properly and I am sorry for not understanding your wonderful tips. Worst comes to worst I can resell the scanner as I don't have that much into it. Thanks.

intoledo

Gheez, I watched a video on you tube and finally figured out what I didn't get that everyone has probably been trying to tell me. In order to see what the tech programmed beyond what I was scanning on system 0, I had to press ./no 11 then the scanner would scan everything on s0 then scan s1.

Status
Not open for further replies.