BCD996XT shortage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshepherd3

I've noticed a number of sites that sell the Uniden BcD996XT are showing out of stock.
Anyone know of a particular reason?
Looking to purchase on in the near future and wondering if this is being sicontinued or replaced with a new model.
Thanks!

daneg

I have taken notice to this as well. Scanner master has been out of stock and a few other places too.

Radio Shack has them on sale now.

Between places being out of stock, and now on sale. I am curious if something isn't coming.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden BCD-996XT

My distributor is out of stock too on this base/mobile. I will have to find out what is going on.

Bob

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have never seen in the last few years ever that stock of scanners have been this low or almost completely gone to where you can't even purchase them.

No new news on any releases of any new equipment from either Uniden or GRE and who knows about GRE.

Both of these companies are working underground probably. The question is what is next or is there a next. Time will tell

daneg

I have never seen in the last few years ever that stock of scanners have been this low or almost completely gone to where you can't even purchase them.

No new news on any releases of any new equipment from either Uniden or GRE and who knows about GRE.

Both of these companies are working underground probably. The question is what is next or is there a next. Time will tell

Besides being out of stock and radio shack having a sale on them it has me really curious.

pepsima1

Banned
with these limited supplies and all of these sales on older models I would just wait and not buy anything to see what is on the horizon unless you really need something ASAP. Prices on older models are just way out of control because of the supply and demand theory.

KE5TLF

Yep. Seems like potential signs of something new coming soon. If so, possibly the planned release was held up a bit, and has created a bit of a gap in the supply chain.

XTS3000

Just called my distributer and asked about the 996XT. She said Uniden underestimated the demand for 996XT's. This happened years ago when the 996T came out as well. So don't take this shortage as an indicator of pending new model(s) anytime soon.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Just called my distributer and asked about the 996XT. She said Uniden underestimated the demand for 996XT's. This happened years ago when the 996T came out as well. So don't take this shortage as an indicator of pending new model(s) anytime soon.

But the 996XT came out in 2009, why would there be a sudden demand right now?

pepsima1

Banned
The surge and demand is because GRE is currently out of business and Uniden is the only desktop model that is still in production.

MK

Scarcity is definitely not the sign of new products coming soon. The shortage of GRE models led to an increase in demand for Uniden scanners. Combine this factor with an ever strengthening economy and surge buying that occurs during the winter months, and it leads to even less scanner supply available than usual. Nevertheless, there are plenty of BCD99XT scanners for sale. I myself recently bought a brand new another one for only $440.

pepsima1

Banned
just buy commerical grade radios now. I ended up buying a Motorola XTS 2500 and an XTS 5000. Way nicer than any cheap radio out there on the market.

XTS3000

But the 996XT came out in 2009, why would there be a sudden demand right now?

My guess is retailers sold more 996XT's than expected or anticipated by Uniden during Christmas 2012. It takes scanners and other electronics at least a month to make the trip from manufacturing plant to USA distributors if they go the cargo ship method.

I bet in a month, the market will be flooded with new 996XT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.