BCD996XT v1.07.03 Firmware Update Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

kq6ea

Premium Subscriber
Just updated my 996XT. The update went flawlessly AFTER I uninstalled the previous version of the updater.

Haven't noticed much difference, but then it was working fine before the update.

Jim

vy1mb

ouch

Just tried doing the firmware update on me 996xt and it failed at the end.
Now it doesn't even light up when I turn it on. Any idea how I fix that little problem lol?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes. Reapply the update following all troubleshooting tips provided by the installer.

socalradioguy

Just some radio guy
info.uniden.com server is down. Again.

I swear that thing must be running on a dial-up connection that spends half of it's life disconnected from teh internets.

--
C:\>telnet info.uniden.com 80
Connecting To info.uniden.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: Connect failed
--

Time to get rid of dial-up, eh Uniden? ;)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It was down from about 9:30 to 11:30 pm (CDT) for migration to the cloud (and should have shown you a maintenance page).

You'll find that the site is quite responsive, now.

socalradioguy

Just some radio guy
No maintenance page was ever shown that I saw (note the absence of a response from port 80), and I tried for (literally) hours to load it (tried to load the page a few times, gave up, went to lunch, ran some errands, came back, still down)....but you're right, the site is much faster now than I've ever seen it before!!

mibzzer15

Yeah no maintenance page was shown to me either. Oh well, problem is dealt with and now the site is better than before. Can't complain. Thanks UPMan.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I believe all our self-hosted servers are down for a while as they are being physically relocated. My earlier message said "moved to the cloud" but IT corrected me. They were moved to virtual machines on physical servers at our facility. Facility switchover is today. I'd send an email to IT to ask them...but that server is also one that is being trucked over to its new home, today.

kmw7339

Premium Subscriber
I was able to download the firmware update tool from info.uniden.com -
but once it is installed, it keeps failing with the error "Internet access failed.
Unable to connect to the remote server.". I don't have a firewall installed, and
I'm not using a satellite internet provider - I am using Verizon DSL. ssh, ftp, and
web access to other site all seem to be fine.

Is the site that the Firmware Update tool is trying to use down temporarily,
or could the tool be trying to use an out-of-date address to download the
firmware file? Is there any way to download the firmware file via anonymous
ftp (rather than relying on the update tool for the download)?

Last edited:

KB1USQ

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD996XT and installed the BC_VUP_V3_00_01 firmware updater into the default directory.
On running the updater it crashes each time.
I've rebooted, closed all other programs, run as administrator and tried different compatibility modes but the software continues to crash.
Any ideas to help me update to firmware v1.07.03?
Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Please provide some more specifics about "it crashes." Does it display a particular error message?

Note that due to a corporate move and some unexpected snags, the ftp site that the firmware itself is retrieved from has been down for most of the weekend, and the outage continues (but I'm told that it should be coming up, now).

KB1USQ

Premium Subscriber
When the software opens I get the splash screen for about 20 seconds then appears to time out with the message "Internet access failed, Unable to connect to the remote server".
If as you said they're moving their corporate site and have been having connection issues", that may be the root of the problem.
Thanks

noaim

Premium Subscriber
New BCD996XT v1.07.03 Firmware Update Available

Finally got around to updating.. Reason I didn't us I don't have any of the systems that it fixes in my area (I don't think). However I figured I should update! It went smooth took maybe 5 minutes everything came back up and works fine! I couldn't be happier with this scanner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

traveln

996XT 1.07 Firmware work around...

That does NOT work. The updater only downloads the firmware after it is connected and communicating with the scanner.
You cannot download the new updater's firmware as a file and save it on your computer. You can only download the updater now.

With the old updater, you also downloaded the actual firmware file to your drive along with the old updater. Not true with the new updater.

After a frustrating day running VM Fusion on my Mac's with Windowz XP and getting no where with the BC_VUP3 Updater. Here is the work around for those who cannot get a connection-update but can control the scanner with ARC XT etc...

Download the older version of the updater here:
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD996XTFirmwareUpdate/BC_VUP_v2.0.0.7.zip

Then download the firmware to your folder from here:
ftp://Updates@ftp.uniden.com/Bearcat/BCVUP/UAC/BCD996XT_V1_07_03.scn

Turn Baud Rate of the scanner to 38400, in your ComPort (right click My Computer on your desktop, go into Device Manager and set the port to match Baud Rate of 38400 **** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR THE COMMUNICATIONS TO MAKE THE "HANDSHAKE"****)

Run setup exe. then TURN OFF YOUR SCANNER, TURN IT BACK ON HOLDING THE L/O AND 6 BUTTON. The screen will be blank (blue). You are now set to go. Run the program.

5 minutes later Bob's your uncle!

IDK why bloody software programmers make it so damn difficult for the average layman to update the errors and omissions of their products!!!

Soundman

Upman I was doing a update on my 996xlt and I ended up getting the 396xlt Firmware Update on it so I went to get the 996xlt Firmware Update but it is not working .I get error when I go and try to open both files .

Status
Not open for further replies.