BCD996xt``

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan1806

I see uniden is discontinueing the 996xt, Does this mean the firmware wont be updated anymore? I just got mine and didn't expect it to be discontinued this quickly, Kind of disappointed in Uniden, now I have a obsolete scanner?

Voyager

The 996XT was replaced (discontinued) over a year ago. That said, Uniden HAS in the past supported models several generations old.

rwier

"... now I have a obsolete scanner? ..."

Or, a future "classic" in near perfect condition (like new). With no source for new purchases of a proven winner (my opinion), your 996xt might sell (in a couple of years) for more than you payed for it.

Voyager

Given the BCD996P2, I think it's unlikely that the XT will be a highly desired classic.

D

DaveNF2G

I don't understand the hunger for constant firmware updates. The 996XT works fine and fulfills all of its specifications. There are no "broken" features that need fixing. If the scanner is still of use to the user, then why should a lack of "updates" be a problem?

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand the hunger for constant firmware updates. The 996XT works fine and fulfills all of its specifications. There are no "broken" features that need fixing. If the scanner is still of use to the user, then why should a lack of "updates" be a problem?

There still may be one more firmware for the XT series. It has to do with Close Call where it's been required to press a key to reveal the capture frequency. Not anymore , the Optoelectronics patent expired earlier this year and UPMan said that they will be issuing an update to to eliminate that key press.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I see uniden is discontinueing the 996xt, Does this mean the firmware wont be updated anymore? I just got mine and didn't expect it to be discontinued this quickly, Kind of disappointed in Uniden, now I have a obsolete scanner?

Once in a while folks have to go back to older firmware because of some issue that the UPDATE starts.

wtp

quite a few are obsolete and still in use

one of the first things i turn on is a pro 2001 from around 1980. it still works well and never had to be updated. no 800 no trunking, no weather button. i just use it for the space station and forestry. i am happy with my 396t from 2005. it does everything i got it for. yes if everything goes to phase 2 i have a lot of paperweights. but i don't see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.