BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

engb129

I have bought a BCD996XT used, trying to program it for my local PDs new trunking, Mt Pleasant Texas I used the Freescan software downloaded it to my scanner and is not working, it installed all freq. in my scanner cant hear anything. from my scanner is this BCD996XT compatible for for Project 25 Phase 2 APCO25 are have I just bought this for a paper weight. THANKS.
PS: i have mobile BCD436HP and works great on my local PD

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You'll need a Phase II scanner like the 996P2.
Actually, no need for a Phase II scanner just yet. While TxWARN P25 is a Phase II capable system, the users in the northeast part of Texas, where the old ETMC analog system was converted to digital & absorbed into TxWARN, are using Phase I talkgroups. I know that, eventally, the southern part of that regional system in and around the Houston Metro area, will have to convert to fully Phase II usage (some are still Phase I), I have not heard anything specific as to whether he northern (ex-ETMC) branch will also convert. Unless and until they do, the 996XT will work.
I have bought a BCD996XT used, trying to program it for my local PDs new trunking, Mt Pleasant Texas I used the Freescan software downloaded it to my scanner and is not working, it installed all freq. in my scanner cant hear anything. from my scanner is this BCD996XT compatible for for Project 25 Phase 2 APCO25 are have I just bought this for a paper weight. THANKS.
PS: i have mobile BCD436HP and works great on my local PD
As noted, the 996XT cannot process Phase II, but since the talkgroups in your area (Titus County) are Phase I, the scanner will work.

When you imported the Mount Pleasant site, did you also download the talkgroups? Make sure the site is set correctly in your 996, and that neither the site nor the group with the TGIDs are locked out.

Your may want to attach your FreeSCAN file to a post, so that someone can take a look and see if there are any errors or omissions keeping it from working.
Attaching a FreeSCAN file to a post:

FreeSCAN uses file extension *.996, which cannot be directly attached to a post. What you’ll need to do is one of these two ways:

Compress your file into a *.zip file, which can be attached. This can be done with a file utility such as WinZip, or the free 7Zip. If your original file was named “MyFile.996”, the compressed file would be “MyFile.zip”.

The other method is to rename your file, using Windows Explorer. Again, for illustration, if your original file was named “MyFile.996”, find the file on your PC and rename it. <Right><Click> on the file and select ‘Rename’ from the pop-up menu. Rename your file to either “MyFile.txt” or “MyFile.996.txt”.

The zipped or renamed file can now be attached to a post. Whoever is going to take a look, to see anything missing or incorrect, can then download the file from your post, rename or unzip it, and open with FreeSCAN to view.

I can easily monitor the Kaufman County site on TxWARN with my 396XT, as well as the x36HP and SDS series scanners.

engb129

Well good to know, I have all 7 talkgroups installed on my scanner and are unlocked. But still nothing ,You asked me to send ZIP file funny i doing good to turn my PC own . Can i get a step buy step on settings my scanner should be own, such as talk grougs, key tags, audio, freq., hex or dec. I think it is something turned off in my scanner Thanks so mutch for your help

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You mention talkgroups, but you don't mention sites. You must program at least one receivable site or the scanner has nothing to scan.

engb129

i go to menu, program system, to texas wide aera radio, then edit site. it says Mount Pleasant under that search ID and a arrow pointing up, i can see two freq. 770.51875 - 770.80625 - 6.25 spacing i see the talk groups total of seven set quick key set at 0, set startup key 1. edit tgid 2842 , 2828, 2830, 2832, 2840, 2844, 2846. In the window while scanning will show Mount Pleasant search ID , and under that shows freq. 770.8062 under that SO----------0, under that has GRP--------------. It is scanning my local conventional channels and talking thats all it does Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well good to know, I have all 7 talkgroups installed on my scanner and are unlocked. But still nothing ,You asked me to send ZIP file funny i doing good to turn my PC own . Can i get a step buy step on settings my scanner should be own, such as talk grougs, key tags, audio, freq., hex or dec. I think it is something turned off in my scanner Thanks so mutch for your help
Compressing the file programming to a zip file is one way to prepare your file for attachment. But you can also simply rename the file so that it can be uploaded. Repeating that part of the instructions:

The other method is to rename your file, using Windows Explorer. Again, for illustration, if your original file was named “MyFile.996”, find the file on your PC and rename it.

Go to wherever your FreeSCAN files are being saved. That's normally the FreeSCAN folder on your PC, or a folder in your Documents that you've told the program to use. To verify where that is, in FreeSCAN, with your file open in the program, click on the File dropdown menu & select "Save As". This how mine looks. You probably using a different location.
1554409307823.png

<Right><Click> on the file and select ‘Rename’ from the pop-up menu. Rename your file to either “MyFile.txt” or “MyFile.996.txt”.

Now, here in RadioReference, click on the Attach Files link in the lower left corner of a new post.
1554409536477.png
When you click the Attach Files link, you'll get a pop-up menu box. Use your mouse to navigate to the place where your renamed programming file is saved,

Click on the file you renamed (with a txt extension) to highlight it then click on Open at the bottom of window to attach it.

The zipped or renamed file can now be attached to a post. Whoever is going to take a look, to see anything missing or incorrect, can then download the file from your post, rename or unzip it, and open with FreeSCAN to view.

Status
Not open for further replies.