BCT 8 Stops?? Scanning?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarly

Hi Guys
My BCT8 at work just started stopping on a freq. that I have programed in it. 453.5625, It just stops and there is hardly any sound???? What is causing this???? I hit scan and it goes untill that freq??

Any HELP ????

Thanks
Matt

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
If there isn't a problem with the scanner itself,the problem your having sounds like a open carrier channel thats just quiet.

OCO

Could be a birdie (internal oscillator frequency) - check to see if there is a list in the owners manual. Pull the antenna to see if it goes away.If it does it's usually not an internal signal. Lots of office/shop equipment will radiate internal frequencies also and they're quite often rich in harmonics....

mule1075

Feed Provider
was listening to an online scanner that was up on proscan over the weekend and it was stuck on that freq for a whole day.the scanner was from the NJ area.

chazcarly

I think it is something in the building??? It worked all week fine??? The ant is on the roof so I dont know what you mean pull the ant?? My unit at home will stop sometimes on a freq also when I have my lap top pluged into a ethernet cable on my desk.. When it stops I unplug the cable and it starts scanning.
Does not do it all the time?

OCO

Disconnect the antenna from the back of the radio! If the signal was an internal "birdie" it would continue to lock up the scanning! If it was outside the radio, it would most likely not be received anymore, UNLESS the signal is coming from something very close to the radio, which you could test by moving the radio to a different spot with the antenna disconnected ! If it worked all week, sounds like the problem is gone now!

Yes, your laptop and network equipment generate lots of different RF signals that your scanner will pick up at times!

chazcarly

Disconnect the antenna from the back of the radio! If the signal was an internal "birdie" it would continue to lock up the scanning! If it was outside the radio, it would most likely not be received anymore, UNLESS the signal is coming from something very close to the radio, which you could test by moving the radio to a different spot with the antenna disconnected ! If it worked all week, sounds like the problem is gone now!

Yes, your laptop and network equipment generate lots of different RF signals that your scanner will pick up at times!

I will check that out on monday.....Thanks

chazcarly

OK
I unpluged the ant when it got stuck on the Freq.....it started scanning so it must be something close????

So what do I do next???
Thanks

swm77662

Find the root cause.

Could the scanner been touched by anyone that could have adjusted the squelch? Kids etc..
Could anyone place item in the area of the scanner?
Do you live in an town house or apartment complex where some new device could have been placed?
Could anyone touch the antenna?

I live in a town home complex and I have "hot spots" in my residence that sets off my scanners, my neighbors must have something that sets off my scanners but only when they are awake, after 11pm or so it magicly clears up untill around 6am then my scanners will lock on static.

The prior town house I lived in also had hot spots.

My suggestion would be:
1. check the squelch.
2. adjust the squelch higher.
3. lock out the open frequency that keeps on hanging up.
4. move the scanner.
5. move the antenna.

KI6LWI

Lots of things generate spurious RF on various frequencies. Common offenders are Plasma/LCD televisions & computer monitors, CFL light bulbs, computers/network equipment, and cheap switching power supplies. Generally the cheaper the item is, the noisier it is in the RF spectrum due to lack of filtering. Many people are price motivated and buy the cheapest TV/computer/doodad, so you can find all kinds of RF trash floating around your neighborhood. A spectrum analyzer and handheld yagi antenna can help you zero in on the offending item, then it's a matter of figuring out how to keep it's trash out of your receiver...

majoco

Stirrer
If there's nothing to be heard then you ain't missing much. Press the 'lockout' button and it won't stop on that frequency again - or until you 'unlock' it.

chazcarly

If there's nothing to be heard then you ain't missing much. Press the 'lockout' button and it won't stop on that frequency again - or until you 'unlock' it.

Its our local PD main channel. There are 4 apartments above my shop..... I bet that is where the problem is. Everyone works so I dont no what would be left on???? I guess I will have to do some checking.

OCO

Its our local PD main channel.

Uhhhh are you sure? The only PD that shows 453.5625 in NJ is in Salem County and it's expired.. If you are in the area you show in your User info, you're in the opposite end of the State...(Bergen County) and that shows a lot of VHF band with the freq you're talking about used in Hackensack for FD activity..

If you don't have a spectrum analyzer and handheld yagi in your back pocket, you might try borrowing a handheld scanner to see if you can track the signal...crank up the squelch until you just shut that signal out and start looking around until it starts breaking the squelch. If it's so strong that you can't squelch it out at all, pull the antenna off and readjust the squelch.....keep hunting, you'll find it - but you probably won't be able to get rid of it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.