BCT15 or 996XT Software Cable Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

airsquad9

Premium Subscriber
I've been trying to connect my BCT-15 to my Windows 7 computer. Since my computer has NO serial ports on it, I purchased a serial-usb adapter and I still can't get the ARC15 software to recognize the scanner. Has anyone been successful getting the Uniden scanners to connect to a CURRENT Windows-based PC with only USB ports? Maybe I need other software? A newer scanner? I'll try anything before switching to the Home Patrol...

Mickey

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
Stoopid question, but did U download the driver for the USB cable/adapter? And if U did, when U plug up the USB cable/adapter to computer, U should hear a "found hardware" ding. Do U hear it when U connect?

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
You need a special USB-1 cable that has inline electronics(converts rs232 levels to USB levels and back bi-directionally) and a Windows driver Driver for windows 7.

Cable - Uniden USB Cable

Driver- Scroll Down on above web page download driver for windows 7 - Install driver exactly as directed. - Make sure the USB-1 cable is not attached to your computer while installing driver!
After the driver is installed then connect cable. driver will install the rest of the way when it sees the cable.
When attempting to connect to your scanner you need to set the com port on your scanner and baud rate. Then try different com ports in your computer or auto detect if you have this feature in your software.

A standard usb cable will not work - It must usb-1 type.

Happy Scanning

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not at all stupid, although you're missing an important step or two. After you get the drivers, they must be installed. You then must check Device Manager to insure that the installation allocated a COM port that is really available, and not already taken by another device. This article from our wiki (all links show up in blue) discusses this in some detail...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

The USB-1 mentioned above is but one of many devices that work - we have a few alternatives also listed there - but it's far from comprehensive. It's entirely possible the USB cable you bought will work; it's the load procedure that gets everyone hosed.

By the way, ARC15 won't work with a 996XT. If you want software that handles both scanners, take a look at this...

Uniden DMA Software Support - The RadioReference Wiki

Both FreeScan and BCTool plus are freeware; ProScan is commercial. Just click on the links to see more...

73 (best regards)...Mike

Billknn

Premium Subscriber
Not to add to the confusion, but FWIW I have a USB - Serial adapter (generic "prolific" style adapter) that works with Windows 7 64 bit and a Belkin adapter that absolutely does not work.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I went the route of installing a PCI card with two serial ports on it in my new Compaq with Windows 7 Home Edition, but my experience with XP is that just about any USB to serial adapter cable will work with any Butel program, BCTool, or Free Scan.

As Mike points out, it's crucial to install the proper drivers. If your adapter doesn't come with Win7 drivers, you should be able to find them at the manufacturers web site.

As Mike also points out, you do NOT need to buy the USB-1 cable. That's really nothing more than a USB to Serial adapter with the proper connector to plug into the front port of the DMA mobile scanners. Well, and the only port on the portables too.

airsquad9

Premium Subscriber
I checked the driver for the USB-Serial Com port and it shows up-to-date bu 'm getting an error on the device in the device manager "This device cannot start. (Code 10): I searched around and couldn't get a thorough explanation of that so 'm wondering if it's the cable.

Clark

Are you attempting to use the rear 9-pin port, if so, it requires a Null modem cable or adapter and possibly a gender changer.

Clark

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Scanning should be fun not hair pulling misery.

Not all cables can handle high baud rates because they do not meet high speed impedance characteristics and shielding requirements set forth by IEEE EIA standards. Not even USB cables are generic. USB cables are specifically designed based on USB specification requirements.
No Such thing as a generic USB/Serial bridge cable either. These cables have Integrated circuits internally and need the drivers for the chipset that is in them. USB hardware comes in different versions and so does rs232. So the driver must be able to handshake with the cable.

I strongly recommend the cable and driver I mentioned in my last post since it is known to work well and is recommended by Uniden. But play with fire if you must.

READ ON LOL ..
You must remove the driver you now have installed.

You must remove all USB to Serial bridge cables from the computer before you reboot the computer. You probably only have one but this cannot be overlooked.

You must wait for computer to boot completely –

Then check the device manager to see it is clear of red exclamation marks or yellow question mark flags in the RS232 section. These issues must be resolved before continuing.

You must verify the driver is correct for your specific cable. !!!!

You must install the driver software capable of interfacing with your cable manufacturer and your version of windows. Wait until you confirm driver has been successfully installed. Drivers are not generic either.

With the cable NOT connected to the radio, plug the Usb side of the cable into your usb port. The USB port on the computer I recommend should be a newer type that has Power Line used as a charger or powers small devices. Some computers have multiple USB ports some of which cannot supply power to a device.

Now the driver will detect the cable and you will see a message about new hardware is detected and software is being installed for new hardware. Again wait for successful confirmation. Then you must again look at the device manager to see what com port the cable driver put the usb cable on. EX COM6

If you see the cable installed then your in business, Sort off.
Then hook up your radio to the other end . If you are using the db9 connector you may need a null modem adapter according to one of the posts – check your documentation. Adjust your radios comport to a lower than maximum baud rate suggest 19200. Then run your software and set it up for the com port # the cable is on Example #6 you saw in the device manager and Baud rate same as radio was set 19200.
Once you have established successful communication reliably then move up the baud rate to max 115200. Some cables /usb bridges may not be able to go that high.

Follow each step methodically. Describe in detail at what point something has gone wrong. Then logical trouble shooting can begin instead of playing guessing games. Sort of LOL.

I strongly recommend the cable and driver I mentioned in my last post since it is known to work well and is recommended by Uniden. But play with fire if you must.

Some cables even with the right driver may not work with your radio. There are several reasons for this.

The chipset in the Bridge may require control lines.
Conflicts between 2 different USB Drivers or software to drive hardware.
Baud rate when shifted may be too inaccurate (speed wise) because Uniden does not use handshaking.
Cable Levels shifting could be out of range. Or have too much latency
Old bridge hardware could not go above 9600 baud rate.
Drivers not USB2 compatable or not fully compliant with 32/64 driver specs.
This list goes on.

Good Luck

Last edited:

airsquad9

Premium Subscriber
Yes I'm using the front plug on the scanner. I think I'll juts get the Uniden cable and try it again. It really shouldn't be this hard. Would it kill the manufacturers to make it more USB capable and no longer serial? Just a thought...

Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.