BCT15X: BCT15X Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Could someone please provide a link to a programming cable for my Uniden BCT15X? I purchased one about two years ago on Amazon and it worked great. I recently moved and tried updating the scanner, but when I attempted to use the USB to serial cable, the scanner could not be detected... I tired two different laptops and all the ports available on said laptops to no avail. I am guessing the cable is not longer any good. It looks fine cosmetically and was stored safely but just stopped working. I tired to repurchase the same one on Amazon but it is no longer available. So I am asking here before I go an buy the wrong one. I thank you all in advance.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Could someone please provide a link to a programming cable for my Uniden BCT15X? I purchased one about two years ago on Amazon and it worked great. I recently moved and tried updating the scanner, but when I attempted to use the USB to serial cable, the scanner could not be detected... I tired two different laptops and all the ports available on said laptops to no avail. I am guessing the cable is not longer any good. It looks fine cosmetically and was stored safely but just stopped working. I tired to repurchase the same one on Amazon but it is no longer available. So I am asking here before I go an buy the wrong one. I thank you all in advance.
-

Just search for "Uniden USB-1 Cable"

Icanhearit

This is front mini port cable for programming and firmware update, from ebay with great build quality. shipped with instruction where to download the driver for windows. There is colorful LED light flashes when has active data transfer, personal preference if you like or hate it.

This one from Amazon is for programming only connecting to the back serial port, less intrusive, better for daily use but not for firmware update (which must use the front USB). Solid build. You need to install driver as listed on the Amazon webpage. I have 2 BCT15X, both of them are verified, in active use.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Where did you move & who are you looking to monitor? Are you certain the BCT15X can meet your needs? (no digital modes)
I am in Newark, NJ. And yes, it suits me just fine. I am using it for what is left of conventional around me including NJSP, East Orange, and West Orange NJ. I have been in Jersey all my life, just trying to update to my newer surroundings.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Losing my mind here. I got the cable recommended from IcanHearIt but the scanner still won't "communicate." I did a reset on it and everything. I don't know what else to do... Thoughts?

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
I am using Free Scan, as for the firmware update, I don't know. How would I update that.

Blackink

Firmware for your scanner

The Uniden Web site instructions aren't too clear. The Web site says:

These are the installation Steps from the Uniden Web site:
Download
BC_VUP3 Firmware Updater for DMA Scanners, unzip the file, then run the installer to install this utility. Then, run the utility and follow the on-screen prompts to select the scanner model and firmware version to apply.

When I unzip that folder, I see a folder labeled BC_VUP_V3_03_00. Inside that folder is a setup.exe file and a Setup_BC_VUP.msi file.

The only reason I selected the Setup_BC_VUP.msi file is because it was the closest match to what the instructions say to select: Run the BC_VUP3 utility (not the .msi file).

It would have been nice if the instructions mentioned selecting the Setup_BC_VUP.msi file rather than to Run the BC_VUP3 utility.

I think it would be a bit clearer for people if it read: Installation Steps-
Download and unzip BC_VUP_V3_03_00.zip. Find the extracted files and open the BC_VUP_V3_03_00 folder. Click on the BC_VUP3.msi file, select Install. Once the utility is installed, go to your Start Menu and select BC_VUP3 to run the utility and follow the on-screen instructions.

And once this utility is installed on your computer, it doesn’t need to be downloaded for future firmware updates. Some people don’t realize this software only needs to be downloaded once.

To upgrade/download any future firmware is done by running the BC_VUP3 software right from your computer and follow the instructions.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
1 Go to device manager and check the port settings for the com port connected to the scanner the baud rate should be set to 115200
2 then check the scanner menu settings
3 set serial port
4 set baud rate
5 set front port 115200
6 then retry to connect to the scanner.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Downloaded the driver, now when attempting to upload the new profile, I get, "critical error possibly caused by insufficient scanner resources Aborting. Any thoughts? I am losing my mind here, never knew I had to have a college degree to program a scanner like this...

Icanhearit

At leat it indicates the cable part is now working. I do not use freescan, but according to Freescan FAQ:

• When uploading, I get a "Critical Error, Possibly Caused by Insufficient Scanner Resources. Aborting" message. How do I resolve this?
  • When uploading, I get a "Critical Error, Invalid Response Code or Insufficient Resources, Aborting Channel Programming".
    • There are a couple of ways this can happen;
      • You have exceeded the memory limits for a system, site or group. See the Moving DMA Data to Other Radios in Freescan article for a summary of statistics.
      • You have done numerous ADDs without ever wiping the scanner first. This can cause multiple copies of the same system(s) which take up memory space. When making changes, you should use REPLACE instead.
      • Each of the DMA scanners has test data loaded into some quick keys as a demo. This data is often old and outdated, and should be dropped. Combine this with having done numerous ADDs and memory space gets eaten up quickly
      • You should first back up your current configuration, then examine the data to be uploaded to insure it doesn't exceed the memory limit for your model. Wipe the scanner completely (there's a red option for this at the top of the upload form) and reload
      • This error may be seen if you are using FreeScan to upload data to multiple scanners. You can avoid this by using the COM button on the upload form to access the Setup Com Port form. Then use the AUTO function to force FreeScan to detect the new scanner thanks hiegtx.
      • Another way this message can be seen is if the firmware in the scanner is not up to date. FreeScan can't check the firmware version before attempting up/downloads. To check your firmware version, as well as finding what versions are available, see the Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners article

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the firmware update yet when I check my scanner settings it still says I am on "Version 1.05.03" This is getting really frustrating but I appreciate all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.