BCT15X: BCT15X/HomePatrol GPS BC-GPSK Power Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I have the Uniden BC-GPSK - GPS Cable. (And adapter cable for HP-II)

Also thinking on getting a BCT15x for a trip to try it out for Bearcat Warning System.(BWS)

Does the BC-GPSK - require Power? Is there another brand that does not require power?

Also can the BCGPSK be used with 2 scanners at once? aka HP-II and BCT15X?

If the Beartracker 885 was not so $$$ - I would just get one for the BWS and not use the CB portion.(not hookup CB antenna / mic). The 885 does not require power for its gps antenna...so its just 1 power cord.

marksmith

The gps puck does require power, as with any other puck or gps you can use.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Ubbe

All GPS antennas I know of has an integrated amplifier that needs to be powered.
You can feed several scanners from one GPS puck if you get 1-to-2 rs232 splitter.
The tx from both scanner will collide but they have current limiting to protect them so they will not blow up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DB9-Male-t...-Rs232-Male-to-2-Female-2-F17686/272308354546

/Ubbe
s-l200.jpg

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Uniden GPS kit requires a separate 12V cigarette lighter plug to power the GPS.

Using a FF-M DB-9 Y cable to split the GPS output to two scanners should work just fine. The RS-232 output from the scanner when GPS is connected is a constant logic 0 (~-5V) because the scanner doesn't send any data to the GPS. There is a limit to how many receivers a single RS-232 output can drive, but you should be fine with 2.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all.

Going on a roadtrip and want to test my Homepatrol II with GPS vs. a Beartracker (now leaning to try the 885 again vs. BCT15x).

I know the 885 will give me the BWS detection which I want to try. The question is as driving will I like my HP-II vs. the 885 for general scanning and updating as I drive.
(I know on this I will see the alpha naming vs. 885)

So many wired devices...LOL...
- Radar Detector
- DashCam
- GPS Puck Uniden for HP-II
- Beartracker 885 (its GPS requires no power)
====================================
- HP II - no power required - using the rechargeables...

The Desire for a Hybrid - BWS/HP2 with Alpha Characters/ Build in GPS like 885) - this would be my dream Scanner.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Jonwienke

Link was dead - I get it - a joke !

But it could exist fairly easy - they already have all the technology.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
So jealous!! That is awesome...does GPS work well - connect easily? Someone should offer that as a service...

Great looking job - real talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.