BCT15X Interference from Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillB

Recently I had the on demand system hooked up on to my satellite receiver. It gets a signal from my wireless modem. Every since then there are a couple channels that I get constant inference one to the point that I've had to lock them out. Is there anything I can do to stop it short of unhooking the On Demand system?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're sure that this is the issue, putting physical space between the On Demand system and the scanner may be a simple solution.

Unplug the antenna on the 15X and see if the interference goes away - if so, something in that system is radiating, and needs to be isolated. Shorten up every cable you can - even wrapping them in a coil, and tied off with wire ties, has been known to help. Long unshielded cables can act like antennas for RFI

I would try to isolate the power supplies - it's not unheard of that RFI gets transmitted from an unshielded power cord (and these power cubes that come with scanners have next to no shielding). If you can run your 15X on a separate power plug, do it. Wrapping the cord around a ferrite core (or putting beads on it) may also help, if the power supply is indeed picking up the radiation.

Indoor antennas are an unfortunate necessity for folks living in condos and apartments. But if you have access to an attic, put something up there with very well shielded coax, and the chances that the coax picks up the RFI greatly diminsh. Putting the antenna as far away from the source is also a very good idea.

RFI issues like this are tricky - they're not easy to solve, if they can be solved at all.

GL.....Mike

cjrjr507

Quick question, how close is your scanner to the wifi? And our you using an outdoor scanner antenna or the back of scanner antenna ?

WillB

Scanner is using an out door antenna mounted on the end of my house. Probably 20 ft or so from the scanner. My wifi is in another room. That room and the room my scanner is in share a wall. I didnt have this problem til the On demand system was put in. I can try to move the plug in for my scanner though. That wont be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.