• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

BCT15X Picking up half of the transmissions of my local PD EDACS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am fairly new to scanning, but I do know how to program ect. So basically I have my BCT15X programmed to scan my local Pd, everything is programmed correctly. The thing is when I listen for example dispatch could call the call sign of a a unit, then it waits 30 seconds and the dispatch says “received” and I miss the transmission beewtwn the officer and dispatcher deeming the scanner pointless. Sometimes I catch it sometimes I don’t. I have a aftermarket good antenna and have full bars. It’s only on the EDACS channels this happens. On conventional channels I get whole transmissions. My squelch is set to 2. I don’t know why this is and would like to get the whole conversation on the transmissions. Sorry I I worded this confusingly, don’t really know how to explain it otherwise. Thank you in advance.

wtp

i see two tower in ulster

could it be that they hit one tower and you have the other one ?
or do you have both towers in ?
you could also check the settings on the systems.
hold should be at 2
delay should be at 0
they are two different things.

It could be some problem with patched TG's that the BCT15x can't handle properly?

I haven't had an EDACS system since 15 years back but at that time there was a computer decoding program that decoded the control channel so that you could see what was really happening while the scanner where trying to follow the conversations.

/Ubbe

They may be using AEGIS or ProVoice as well which is digital and beyond the capability of your scanner.
Upon further review I noticed my county is indeed using EDACS along with AEGIS. Guess that explains why I sometimes only hear half the story. Thank you for the reply and information. I guess I’ll wait for them to go full digital and then purchase a digital scanner.

wtp

ok

i don't know but could it be that they are on the other tower and the base could be transmitting on its home tower and the satellite tower ? but you would need to hear both to answer this.
also delay set to 2 and hold set to 0
they are not the same thing.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Upon further review I noticed my county is indeed using EDACS along with AEGIS. Guess that explains why I sometimes only hear half the story. Thank you for the reply and information. I guess I’ll wait for them to go full digital and then purchase a digital scanner.

There are no scanners that can handle AEGIS so don't hold your breath to see if someone makes one...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.