bct15x programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

node1

Premium Subscriber
I've read the stickies on the bct15x. Can this scanner be programed for the Indiana Safe T freq for Wayne County/Richmond. What I have read is a little gray area. It has a version 1.03.02.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've read the stickies on the bct15x. Can this scanner be programed for the Indiana Safe T freq for Wayne County/Richmond. What I have read is a little gray area. It has a version 1.03.02.
The short answer is no, it cannot be programmed to monitor the Wayne County talkgroups on SAFE-T.

If you will look at the talkgroups listed for your county, you'll see that all of them are labeled with a D in the Mode column. That means they are digital. your BCT15X is an analog scanner, and is not capable of decoding digital talkgroups.

You would need a digital trunktracker such as one of the ones below:

GRE manufactured scanners:
GRE PSR-500 (Handheld)
GRE PSR-600 (Base/Mobile)
GRE PSR-800 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-106 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-197 (Base/Mobile)
RadioShack Pro-18 (Handheld)
The above were manufactured by GRE, which has ceased production. While a few new units may still be found, they are rapidly diminishing in availability. For the PSR-800, its price has escalated considerably above the original market pricing. This is largely because the PSR-800 is the only current scanner that will handle X2-TDMA/Phase II talkgroups. (See the note below on new Uniden scanners, which will support Phase II.) Besides checking dealers for any remaining ‘new’ stock, don’t overlook the used market, either in the classifieds here, on eBay, other online sites, or occasionally local pawn shops. For any GRE manufactured scanner purchased used, make sure it's complete (all parts included, including battery holders), and in good working order. With GRE now no longer in the picture, parts and service support may be problematic.

Current Uniden Models
Uniden BCD396XT (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996XT (Base/Mobile)
Uniden HomePatrol-1 (Base/Mobile)

Slightly Older Models (discontinued, but can be found in used, but good, condition):
Uniden BCD396T (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996T (Base/Mobile)

[FONT=&quot]The older PRO-2096 or PRO-96 might also work, but these have been out of production quite some time. As they were also manufactured by GRE, parts are also becoming hard to obtain, so if you find a used unit, make sure it's complete (all parts included, including battery holders), and in good working order. Be aware that neither of these scanners can trunk track systems in the 700MHz band. Make sure that none of your systems of interest use that band, of considering either of these two scanners. The same “no 700Mhz” applies to the older Uniden BC296D & BC796D.

Uniden has two new scanners due to be released in January. When that happens, it is at least possible that some of the above scanners may be put up for sale, being replaced by the newer units.
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.