BCT15X: BCT15X question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
So I’m looking for something that will do good on local VFDs, I know they are not digital. Would this work good for Hardin county Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
If a system you want to monitor is analog vhf/uhf, then the BCT15X is one of the best on the market. Best of all, it is compatible with ProScan so if you already have ProScan simply copy the .exe file into a separate folder and run it for BCT15X (you choose it from drop down menu) and you are good to go. I use a BCT15X for a couple of analog systems and I have a 'Group' programmed with all of my local vhf fire/emt 911 calls. Great radio!

JD
kf4anc

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
What do I need for programming cable, I have a newer Windows 10 Alienware desktop

mule1075

Feed Provider

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
It's the best reasonably modern analog-only scanner you will find. I use BCT15X's for the bulk of my analog work, and then I have specialized / older scanners that allow me to dig the weaker stuff out of the mud a touch better than the BCT15X can when needed. For instance, the BCT15X can't match my PRO-2006 on UHF, but it's close enough for most work, and it allows me to not hear CW station identifiers every 30 minutes on a half dozen different frequencies. The BCT15X is the go-to analog-only scanner for typical work.

Last edited:

Bob1955

The 15x is a solid well built analog scanner I highly recommend it.
So I’m looking for something that will do good on local VFDs, I know they are not digital. Would this work good for Hardin county Texas?
TxScanner, The Bearcat BCT-15X is a GREAT analog scanner. You can order it from Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and their number is 877-568-7226 and tell Paul that I recommended you. They ship fast and have FRESH stock.
Hope this helps you sir.

Bob1955

It's the best reasonably modern analog-only scanner you will find. I use BCT15X's for the bulk of my analog work, and then I have specialized / older scanners that allow me to dig the weaker stuff out of the mud a touch better than the BCT15X can when needed. For instance, the BCT15X can't match my PRO-2006 on UHF, but it's close enough for most work, and it allows me to not hear CW station identifiers every 30 minutes on a half dozen different frequencies. The BCT15X is the go-to analog-only scanner for typical work.
KR7CQ-You are 100% correct on the "GO TO SCANNER". Only thing bad about it is no instruction manual and not a current computer cable. Anyone purchasing this MUST buy the other cable that the BCD-996P2 comes with and all the rest.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you look at our county page, and go to the bottom;

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2622

you will see the trunk systems in use in your area. It appears your current trunk system is gradually migrating to a Phase 2 system, which the 15x can't handle. Buying a P2 compatible scanner now is probably a wise move in case your area does decide to go that way. You can find the compatible models here under 'Scanner support for TDMA'...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/APCO_Project_25

Phase 2 scanners work just fine with analog systems, so you would still be covered....Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
KR7CQ-You are 100% correct on the "GO TO SCANNER". Only thing bad about it is no instruction manual and not a current computer cable. Anyone purchasing this MUST buy the other cable that the BCD-996P2 comes with and all the rest.

Both my office and home PC have a port the supplied cable plugs directly into. It is unfortunate that may mfr's omit this standard port from their PCs. I can understand on laptops, as they have tight space requirements.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
If you look at our county page, and go to the bottom;

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2622

you will see the trunk systems in use in your area. It appears your current trunk system is gradually migrating to a Phase 2 system, which the 15x can't handle. Buying a P2 compatible scanner now is probably a wise move in case your area does decide to go that way. You can find the compatible models here under 'Scanner support for TDMA'...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/APCO_Project_25

Phase 2 scanners work just fine with analog systems, so you would still be covered....Mike
He has digital scanners

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, thee county is digital, but the vfds are all still the same analog they’ve used far as I can remember. With the exception of Silsbee that added some P25 versions of their current analog channels but they are not using them as of yet

dfw1193

I found a protocol manual and the easier to read manual both for the 15x by doing google search plus the original bct15 manual in .pdf format what else would you need control mine using the back 9 pin serial port on a dell desktop running win 8.1 with a real serial port not usb.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I found a protocol manual and the easier to read manual both for the 15x by doing google search plus the original bct15 manual in .pdf format what else would you need control mine using the back 9 pin serial port on a dell desktop running win 8.1 with a real serial port not usb.
Serial cable and a null modem adapter.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, i ordered the scanner and cable i needed, appreciate the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.