bct15x Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

benglish

I'm a newbie to scanning. I purchased the bct15x and have yet to get it to scan the way I want it to. So, several questions:
1. When I turn on the scanner with nothing programmed, I can tune it to my home state (minnesota) and it will scan police and fire frequencies. How do I learn what the default programming is for this scanner?
2. I've downloaded, installed FreeScan and then imported Minnesota-based groups/frequencies/TGID's/etc... from RadioReference. After uploading this to the scanner, it doesn't work.

In both #1 and #2, all I get is static noise.

What am I doing wrong?

Any advice is appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can learn about the pre-programmed stuff by using FreeScan to dump the entire contents - it will show that certain quick keys are tied to specific states or trunks. However, since so much of this has changed since the scanner came out, most elect to wipe the scanner clean and start fresh.

You can do that easily in FreeScan - when you upload, specify the 'ERASE' function (it's in red), as shown here...

File:FS upload queued v8.JPG - The RadioReference Wiki

As to why you're not hearing anything - the one thing you didn't mention was allocating -and enabling- the various kinds of quick keys - and that's a very important concept in DMA. I would go and get the Easier to Read manual for this radio - the index for the website that has these manuals can be found at the bottom of...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

These scanners are very complex, and remember, there are no 'banks' anymore - so the quick keys tell the scanner what systems, sites and groups to actually scan.

HTH...Mike

Last edited:

benglish

I have used the erase function when uploading the database from freescan. But the quick-Keys part I missed, so I deleted the entire database, started over by downloading the groups and sites I want from RR, in the options of FreeScan on the download, I had the system automatically assign quickkeys. I saved the database, then uploaded to the scanner - using the erase option during the upload.

My squelch is set to zero.

I uploaded the RR database for the MN State Patrol.

I then used the buttons on the interface to select PL, DT, HP and BT. Now it is stuck on one of the State Patrol's frequency - with BT blinking on and off and I'm still getting nothing but static.

I've read through Mark's "easier to read" documentation - perhaps I'm just clueless, but it wasn't that helpful.

I write technical documentation for a living. I've got 14 books published on various software platforms, so it's not as if I'm not accustomed to "bleeding" as I learn a new technology. But this scanner stuff has me stumped. Everytime I think I've got it figured out, it doesn't work. It really shouldn't be this hard - but perhaps it is.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1. Squelch should not be set at 0 unless you want it to not scan (it will stop on the first conventional channel you've programmed and you'll hear the open-channel hiss). You need to set it high enough to eliminate that.

2. BT means you have the BearTracker Warning System turned on.

3. Much of MN State Police now operate on the statewide ARMER system, which is entirely digital and cannot be scanned using the BCT15X.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's hard to be more specific without seeing the programming. Let's see it - I suspect you've got your quick keys completely hosed up, and you haven't disabled the service search stuff, so that's taking over on you. Take that .996 file, use a utility like WinZip or 7-Zip so you can compress it, then post it as an attachment.

What kind of antenna are you using? If you're using a cheap little whip, how far you can hear is going to be very limited. A discone, fed with good quality coax and set up nice and high will bring in the signals.

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
On the conventional system form, near the delay time box, there's a pulldown marked 'STATE'. Make sure that says 'OFF' for every system you define.

You can always check the status of your system/site quick keys by going to 'Tools/System Quick Key Manager'. When you bring that form up, click on the AUTO SELECT button at the bottom. Then use your mouse to point to the box next to the quick key number and look at the white area at the top. It should list which system/sites are allocated to this key.

Mike

benglish

First - thanks to everyone who is posting and helping me out. I deeply appreciate it.

OK - so I deleted the database file in FreeScan and started over. I wonder if I made so many changes that I hosed stuff up. I reimported all of my desired groups - and use the auto assign on the quick keys during the import. I made sure the State is set to "OFF" - I had entered Minnesota for each one of those. Squelch is set to 2.

I was able to hear the NOAA weather broadcast. I'm using the default antenna that came with the unit. I'm sitting here watching the Vikings game while working on this - so i'm indoors.

Attached is the new database file. I still hear either nothing or just static/hiss. I honestly don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Again, thank you for your help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nothing was attached...click on 'GO ADVANCED' in the quick reply, then about 1/3 of the way down the form, there's a button called 'MANAGE ATTACHMENTS'. Follow the instructions on the form.

Anyway as UPMan noted, the Minn. State Police are on a digital system that the BCT15X can't hear. In the Uniden world, you would need the BCD996T or 996XT, or Home Patrol to do it.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I took a quick look, and it looks like you've done a good job getting everything set up. But with a little indoor whip, you're simply not going to hear much beyond a mile or two at best. An outdoor antenna will do wonders for you, I'm sure. That's not going to solve your State Police issue, since they've moved to ARMER, but hearing things like the aircraft stuff is certainly going to help.

Most towers/CTAFs are not meant to be heard much away from their station - they're more concerned about communicating with pilots up several thousand feet and maybe a couple of miles away. If you're more than a mile or two away, chances are you simply won't hear them.

I'm not in Minnesota - so a little research in our Minnesota forum might be in order to see if these communities have also moved over to ARMER, and they're keeping these freqs as talkarounds (which basically means low-power simplex - you'd need to be real close to hear them) or just to transmit dispatches. Beyond that, the basic setup looks fine. The good news is that what you've learned here will make your transition to the 996 or 996XT much easier.

By the way, the Misc group under Ramsey is empty....

HTH...Mike

Last edited:

benglish

Mike - and everyone else - again, THANK YOU for your assistance. I'm finding this is a friendly and supportive community.

I've decided to use the bct15x for some basic scanning, but will go purchase the Home Patrol from Uniden, along with the GPS, to scan for Police, Fire and EMS. While it doesn't say on the Uniden web site, I'm assuming that, for $500, it must do digital and analoge.

One final question - given your answer above, would the scanner still stop at a given frequency that I'm out of range on give me only white noise? It would seem to me that it would just scan until it had a frequency with enough strength to give me a voice instead of white noise. Perhaps I'm not understanding something....

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There is a possibility that something close to you is radiating a signal that is interfering with the scanner. There are many such devices in the home today, and the FCC isn't really all that stringent about emission standards from consumer devices such as cable modems, plasma TVs - the list is virtually limitless. That's another reason to get an outdoor antenna - placed high and far enough away from the source, you won't hear it anymore...Mike

Errol

Hello World,

I too am new .... as a matter of fact I am so new, I am not sure I am posting correctly. I have also purchased a BCT15X, and now awaits it's arrival from USA. Then I too will be reading, hopefully not posting, about the scanner and the world ahead.

I am in Cape Town, South Africa and would love to hear from other South Africans who might also enjoy the hobby.

So give me a call or at least let me know there are others in South Africa who are willing to share.

73 and greetings for the Rainbow Nation.
Errol

Status
Not open for further replies.