BCT8 Humming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Today, I attempted to get a BCT8 going, but this scanner is hanging up on a frequency with a noticeable humming noise. To me, it is acting like a "birdie"; however, the frequency it is hanging up on is the local NWS, 162.475. It is disallowing scan function. I pressed the necessary keys to reboot this radio and also discovered the Firmware which was 1.20. I doubt this radio has ever been updated.

However, looking at this radio, I cannot see how this would be connected to the internet for a firmware update. I've read the associated Wiki, but still cannot figure this little beast out.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Serial Port

I now see the serial port on the back of this radio; however, I still cannot understand why this radio is not receiving the local NWS, 162.475.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Dead Hum

Are you hearing any talk at all on any other frequencies?

Maybe an antenna issue?

No, I've not heard any radio traffic whatsoever. Not a peep. I hit several keys when I started to attempt to get this rolling, but it was doing the same thing before and after, humming & not receiving radio traffic.

Personally, I think this radio is fried. I got it to scan Texas on service. But, again, it was buzzing on 162.475. Strange.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Receiver

Are you hearing any talk at all on any other frequencies?

Maybe an antenna issue?

Yes, it surely seems to be a reception issue, but the antenna portion is ruled out since it makes the hum with or without the antenna. I suppose it is possible that the receiving portion of this radio is compromised.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Previously Working

Yes, that thought crossed my mind. The radio is using an Enercell AC Adapter with the following: Input: 120V-60Hz 0.5A
Output 12V = 1.5A
Cat. No. 273-358

I wonder, would a bad ac adapter cause such a problem where the power is turned on & the receiver is disabled?

If I'm not mistaken, this radio was working before it landed in my hands.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
If you hear a "hum" instead of static it is most likely the power supply. It may be that the power supply is not supplying "pure" dc to the radio and is causing a 60 or 120 Hz hum. The receiver isn't disabled it just isn't working correctly because of the power supply.
BB

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

If you hear a "hum" instead of static it is most likely the power supply. It may be that the power supply is not supplying "pure" dc to the radio and is causing a 60 or 120 Hz hum. The receiver isn't disabled it just isn't working correctly because of the power supply.
BB

Given that this is a RS power supply, Enercell, I can see how this might happen. I will see if I can find another 12V power supply to see if it makes a difference.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
RS Power Supply

I hooked up my trusty RS Micronta power supply and then took my RS 12V adapter & switched out the adapters. I was using one for the Pro-106/PSR500. The radio owner already had an adapter for this Uniden.

When I hooked it up to 12V, nothing changed. My guess is this got fried with a power spike or lightening. I think it is RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.