Be careful where you leave your aviation radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Back then there was a lot, and I mean a lot of misinformation and conjecture during and after 9/11. I have still to this day a briefcase full of VHS tapes I used to record that day's events and looking back on it all the media was suspecting all kinds of crap up to and including a bomb on the Brooklyn bridge. Even before the second plane hit there was speculation. Then I remember after the second plane hit John Scott on FoxNews say something like, and I'll paraphrase, "this has to be deliberate folks. Osama bin laden comes to mind."

It's interesting how the hijackers used Flight Simulator back then to help train. Now being an avid flight simmer myself who knows his fair share about the game and some aviation, the Sims now a days are absolutely unbelievable albeit quite old and archaic by today's gaming standards. I for one practically learned how to fly a 737NG, know all the bells and whistles and program the FMC. I did it for hours on end every single damn day. In the Sim its self I have well over 3000 hours at least. Now back then you simply didn't have planes that fostered and simulated all the technological gadgetry like they have today. It's really quite remarkable.

Last edited:

bharvey2

And by God if a damn Saudi can hijack and fly a plane I could master a 737. At least I'd like to try in Vegas where you can pay to use a full fledged simulator.

Living with driving distance to Silicon Valley, I had the opportunity many years ago to visit a facility that hosted a number of simulators. They were however, military aircraft. I don't recall exactly but I think they were F16 simulators. I got a behind the scenes tour as well as a chance to try my hand "at the wheel" so to speak. If memory serves, the cockpit video was powered by an older Cray computer. Never being much in to video games naturally, I tanked. However it was quite the experience.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Flying in general is something that practically takes up all the senses on top of that your brain is computing things. Now add some serious high speed to that and quick decisive decisions and it becomes an art. :D

bharvey2

Flying in general is something that practically takes up all the senses on top of that your brain is computing things. Now add some serious high speed to that and quick decisive decisions and it becomes an art. :D

My nephew is a pilot and has taken me up in small fixed wing aircraft since my sim attempt. I've have flown a bit (no take-offs or landings) with him and that wasn't too bad. The speed of a a fighter jet coupled with trying to deal with hostile activity is a completely different experience. Cudos to our mil-air pilots. They have my respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.