• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Beamwidth of Tram 1159-WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Trying to find information on the beamwidth of the Tram 1159-WB VHF Antenna. I have emailed Tram Browning from their website with no reply. Can't find any other contact information for Tram.

cmdrwill

"6/8 Wave Wideband Antenna" so that translates to 3/4 wave length.

Bandwidth stated as "136-174" and the specs do not state the SWR. at that bandwidth.

Save your money and get a real antenna.......

RadioGuy7268

Beamwidth of an omnidirectional antenna would be 360 degrees.

Normally, beamwidth is used for Yagi or directional antennas to give an idea of how narrow the focus of the direction is. Higher gain in a directional antenna usually results in a narrow beamwidth.

If you meant Bandwidth - the advertised bandwidth runs all the way from 136 to 174 - but I'd imagine that means you start with a longer than needed antenna, which can be trimmed to a center frequency. An inexpensive 3/4 wavelength gain antenna might be about 4 MHz on either side of it's cut frequency, giving you about 8 MHz bandwidth.

A few on-line sellers seem to list this as a "pre-tuned antenna, no cutting necessary" - which makes me think they might want you to specify the center frequency that they'll cut it to..... or they might have just copied down someone else's description and they have no idea what they're shipping out.

prcguy

There are vertical beamwidth ratings for antennas but mostly for base station as there are too many variables using it for a mobile antenna. Vertical beamwidth for a vertical omni relates precisely to gain and assuming 360 deg coverage, vertical beamwidth can be used in place of gain.

Beamwidth of an omnidirectional antenna would be 360 degrees.

Normally, beamwidth is used for Yagi or directional antennas to give an idea of how narrow the focus of the direction is. Higher gain in a directional antenna usually results in a narrow beamwidth.

If you meant Bandwidth - the advertised bandwidth runs all the way from 136 to 174 - but I'd imagine that means you start with a longer than needed antenna, which can be trimmed to a center frequency. An inexpensive 3/4 wavelength gain antenna might be about 4 MHz on either side of it's cut frequency, giving you about 8 MHz bandwidth.

A few on-line sellers seem to list this as a "pre-tuned antenna, no cutting necessary" - which makes me think they might want you to specify the center frequency that they'll cut it to..... or they might have just copied down someone else's description and they have no idea what they're shipping out.

lmrtek

Vertical beamwidth will be as narrow as a 5\8 wave but the main lobe
will be at a high angle which will give it distance performance of less than a 1\4 wave.
So yes it will have some gain at high angles but where it counts, it will have less than unity gain

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
"6/8 Wave Wideband Antenna" so that translates to 3/4 wave length.

Bandwidth stated as "136-174" and the specs do not state the SWR. at that bandwidth.

Save your money and get a real antenna.......

I have had pretty good success with these antennas using them for low powered portable/mobile repeaters operating in the 150-170MHz band.

What would your recommendation for a real antenna be?

scrotumola

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I would refer you to a previous thread in this section.... the entire thread it spot on, pay particular attention to the latter part of the thread.

https://forums.radioreference.com/commercial-radio-antennas/376103-brands-aer-considered-ok.html

~S~

Thanks! Good thread with great points and comments. For my particular application I have had really good success with the Tram 1159-WB antenna. It seems to perform well with very low SWRs on the frequencies I use. Its nice to have an antenna with a little bit of gain with a lot of bandwidth when you are only working with 2-5watts output. I never know if I am going to be operating in the low 150s or the mid 173s until I get on scene.

scrotumola

Brandon,

If you are impressed with the performance of a Tram antenna, you will be BLOWN AWAY by the performance of a 224 or ANT150 or Stationmaster-class antenna.

~S~

prcguy

For really big performance and keeping portable I use a 4-bay dipole array on VHF and have each element attached to a military 5ft aluminum mast with tapered ends so the antenna can be quickly assembled on site. I also use the same mast sections with the matching military tripod adapter so you have a free standing antenna, tripod and mast that can go almost anywhere.

This type of setup would improve transmit and receive about 4X over a Tram mobile antenna on a ground plane adapter.

Brandon,

If you are impressed with the performance of a Tram antenna, you will be BLOWN AWAY by the performance of a 224 or ANT150 or Stationmaster-class antenna.

~S~

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
For really big performance and keeping portable I use a 4-bay dipole array on VHF and have each element attached to a military 5ft aluminum mast with tapered ends so the antenna can be quickly assembled on site. I also use the same mast sections with the matching military tripod adapter so you have a free standing antenna, tripod and mast that can go almost anywhere.

This type of setup would improve transmit and receive about 4X over a Tram mobile antenna on a ground plane adapter.

Sounds interesting. Do you have pictures?

prcguy

No and its all taken apart at the moment. But imagine thick wall military surplus aluminum masts 60" long that plug into each other. Now imagine one VHF dipole of a dipole array mounted near the center of each 60" long mast, and since the center to center vertical spacing of the complete dipole array is supposed to be 57" each dipole is offset slightly between the lowest, mid and highest dipoles.

You simply connect all the mast sections together which are labeled top, bottom, etc, and connect the phasing harness which I usually leave connected anyway. You can orient the dipoles all on one side for about 9dBd gain in about a 120deg pattern or point each dipole to a N, S, E, W compass heading and it will be around 6dBd omni gain.

Using the same type mast sections you use three masts for the tripod base and one between the tripod and lower part of the antenna, which places the base of the antenna about 10ft off the ground or roof, etc. When your done it all comes apart in a minute and you just have a bunch of 5ft mast sections, some with dipoles attached and some without and a coax harness you roll up.

I have a commercial freq dipole array from Maxrad that covers about 152 to 162Mhz and an amateur version from Cushcraft that covers the 2m ham band. I've used both on the military masts for various occasions.

Sounds interesting. Do you have pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.