Bear Mountain Search And Rescue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Just saw the news this morning that they are actively searching for two missing teenage boys from Brooklyn who got lost in Bear Mountain. I was just wondering if they would be using any frequencies that I could pick up potentially from northern NJ?

wrath

Very doubtfully unless you have the mother of all antennas, bear mountain is one intermod alley and ten to one if it's a ground search there using low att portables , although if they have a bear in the air ( all puns intended) you may catch traffic from it. Look for NYSP chopper if it's being utilized for search or if found and injured severely the will call wings for medical evac, listen to your medical 1 -10 and chopper on the am side airband.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

NC1

There is almost no way you will be able to receive anything, unless it's a short skip. I worked there, and with all the hills and trees it just absorbs the RF.

Even when I lived in Harriman (and worked for the park system) I could not hear the whole park sometimes. And when I lived in NJ (one town away from Rockland County NY) it was spotty at best - and you are a lot further south than that.

If you have the day off, take the drive up RT 17 and take the first entrance on the right. It will take you through the whole park.

I'm guessing the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Rangers were the lead agency. Search and rescue is their statutory responsibility under NYS law. Try listening to the Region 3 repeaters, particularly Jackie Jones (at the former AT&T Long Lines site) on 159.225.

Rockland's 700 system might be active on TG 2121 (you'll need a P25 phase 2 scanner for that). Maybe 39.56 and 154.89?

NJSAR might be involved, either on a primary or mutual aid basis. Not exactly sure what they use now. Once upon a time, it was all hand-helds on one of the forestry conservation frequencies. You probably wouldn't hear that.

The national SAR channels ("special emergency" frequencies in Part 90) may be of interest, particularly 155.1600, but no guarantees.

If there's activity on the repeaters, you should pick it up from NJ.

I should probably add that people shouldn't be going to parties they're not invited to. If one is not on a team and has not been called out, stay away and let them work. Of course, many of those teams are volunteers and might be looking for interested people to join or help out for future calls.

Good luck and hope everyone involved gets through this safe and sound.

NC1

Now that I think of it, the Palisades region of the NYS Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, go all the way to Ft. Lee NJ. If they are using a repeater you may want to try those frequencies.

Also, if you do take the drive, I'm sure you won't get in the way. Commuter roads go all through there and basically have public highways. Even the small 2 lane roads have regular traffic all day long.
If you get out of the car and start getting involved, then you may be interfering, but driving through will have a zero impact. I'm sure they are searching in the wooded areas, they may ask you to keep an eye out while driving around. It's a BIG park and another set of eyes out there is not a bad thing.

If you want a good place to receive the frequencies, try Perkins Tower. The views are stunning! You can see the NYC skyline 50 miles away.

MFR230

Just saw this post now but all comms where on the Rockland County 700 Park Police talkgroup and the Park Police VHF repeater 154.890. The search was conducted by the New York State Park Police,New York State Park Rangers,New York State Police Aviation, and volunteers from the Jewish community.

KC2zZe

Now that I think of it, the Palisades region of the NYS Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, go all the way to Ft. Lee NJ. If they are using a repeater you may want to try those frequencies.
While, technically, you are correct in that the Palisades Interstate Park Commission is a bi-state agency, operationally the New York and New Jersey sides are two separate and distinct entities - particularly regarding radio systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.