Bearcat 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chowlady

I have been given, an older Bearcat 5 scanner. I used to have one just like it, but would like to know if it needs crystals, and if so where do I get them, and I know all "signals" have changed, but I can get those from our local outlets.
Any information is greatly appareciated. I enjoyed the one I had. Great entertainment.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Yes it requires crystals. What are you going to monitor? This scanner will not receive 800 MHz, digital or trunking systems

Chowlady

Bearcat

Well, we just exceeded what I know about them. Guess I'll put it on the shelf as another antique. I just wanted to listen to the calls from fire and rescue depts, and some police stations; I used to do that when I used it before, but that was 35/40 years ago. It turns on, lights on all 8 channels light up across the unit, but of course nothing in any form of voice, since all that is obsolete.
Know no one around here that knows anything about this, so guess it will be a "conversation piece", or days of yore!
Thanks for your help.

bkantor

Looks like Vinton has a few analog frequecies - you may be able to find crystals for these:

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
154.08500 KYG761 RM 025 DPL VintonRescue Rescue FM EMS-Talk
155.05500 KYG761 BM 156.7 PL VintonRescue Rescue Administration (simulcast of Roanoke Co. Fire Dispatch/Tac 2) FM Fire Dispatch
155.34000 WNYF994 M Vinton HEARS Hospital Emergency Ambulance Radio (H.E.A.R) FM Hospital
I do see people selling crystals on eBay from time to time - I'll also take a look in my old "crystal box" in my basement

Status
Not open for further replies.