• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

bearcat 980 ssb, amp, is it worth it? hooking it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Also if you do decide to mount to the roof of the truck look at the base loaded Sirio performer 5000. This antenna doesn't have the bottom shaft like the trucker antenna. The coil is at the base of the antenna. And the 3" one hole Breedlove mount will work well with the regular Sirio performer 5000 antenna.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Im a big fan of using braided ground straps on CB antenna mounts as well. I have a permanant CB antenna mount on the side of my pickup, even though i only put the radio in when i'm on long distance trips, but the mount is grounded to the chassis using a ground strap.

So, your propane truck does NOT have metal mirror mounts on the door?
Like this:
h3641.jpg

PR0PANE

the "bobtail" truck is a Freightliner m2 business class. to be specific on the type of truck it is. I'll have to have a look this morning, the mirrors I'm certain are plastic, and they brackets that hold them fold in. if they are not plastic, they are painted metal. would that be a problem? or ok as long as the brackets are metal.

if the brackets are plastic is my only option a roof mount?

I'll check today, I'll take a magnet with me to see if it will stick to the mirror bracket.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
every m2 chassis i found online have mirrors like this:
Freightliner_M2_Mirror_Assembly_Both_42362_42361__47807.1399498108.1280.1280.jpg

You can use mirror brackets on those mirrors if you ran a grounding strap to it. Isnt really a hard thing to do. The bolts where the brackets bolt to the door is probably grounded.

PR0PANE

so if the mirror arm bracket is metal, I can mount the antenna directly to it and its grounded?

if its not, I have to get a bracket for the antenna, and attach it to the mirror arm bracket, and then a ground strap on a bolt of the antenna bracket, and then bolt the other end of the ground strap to a door bracket?

SCPD

QRT
If the mirror mount is indeed metal, but is painted, you'll want to remove the paint from the spot where you intend to mount the antenna at. Also running a braided flat ground strap to the door and making sure it has good contact to bare metal wouldn't hurt. Again, like I said earlier, get some NO-OX special "A", and use it on all metal to metal connections. It keeps things from rusting.
If your mirror is plastic then yes you'll need to perform the install the way madrabbit posted. Making sure that you have good contact to both the mount and the door bracket. Also reading up on the way RF energy work is a good idea and will help you understand things a bit more. JMHO about that. Hope you get it all sorted. And be safe!!!

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I agree with running the ground strap no matter what. They're pretty inexpensive, and not that time consuming. The advantages of having a good ground on the antenna mount are worth the effort. Just one end to one of the 4 bolts on the antenna mount, the other end to a bolt on the door that the mirror uses. You can zip tie the strap along the arm of the mirror and never worry about it again (check it from time to time, obviously, look for rust and a loose strap)

SCPD

QRT
You can also use some heat shrink over the ground strap as well to keep it from rusting. Rub a light coat of NO-OX on it and then heat shrink it. This will keep it about new if you ever were to pull off the heat shrink. And also make sure to use black tie wraps with some UV protection on anything outdoors. The white ones don't have any UV properties and will get brittle and break. Just some food for thought.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
^ Dont know why i've never thought about that.
I'm going to start doing that from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.