bearcat electra programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
could someone please tell me hot to put fregs in the scanner?? Thanks in advance

You will need crystals made for Bearcat scanners. Bearcat crystals are for a 10.8 MHz IF.
eBay is your best bet for finding the old crystals the cheapest but I've bought some duds. The link that mm provided is also a good source and easier to find the exact freqs you need.
You will also need to see which RF board is installed in the radio. The model in your picture has room for two boards.
It may be marked on the rear but the best bet is to open it up and look at the boards. If they are not marked, take some pictures and I'm sure someone will ID them for you.

They made three RF boards. One covered the low band from 30 to 50 MHz.
Another covered 150 to 174 and the last covered 450 to 470. They may have had a 4th that covered the old UHF T band from 470 to 512 but I don't recall that one for sure.

Make sure you do not buy crystals made for a 10.7 MHz IF as those are used in Regency type scanners plus many others.
The old Bearcat III's were great scanners with good audio back in their day. I still have three of them here. One is setup for my states low band highway patrol and another is on the local fire channels and the third is set to the local railroad channels.

The one in your picture appears to be very clean.

I had to repair or replace the speakers in all three of mine. Corrosion formed around the magnet and then the voice coil could no longer move.
I was able to repair two of them but the third, the paper was rotten.
If you get good white noise, your speaker is likely ok.
Have you opened it up to see if there are any crystals installed?
Remove the single screw on the bottom near the rear and the whole cover will slide off to the rear. The crystals will be installed in sockets.

Last edited:

spooney

I have collected quite a few crystals for that scanner that I don't use. If you post what freq's you are looking for I will see if I have it and if so I'll be glad to send what I have for free.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Quality-Bearcat III

could someone please tell me hot to put fregs in the scanner?? Thanks in advance

In order to assist you, you need to review the RR DB for Sumner county and decide which of the conventional frequencies you want to monitor. I did not see any evidence of digital frequencies or trunking systems. So, this radio might work for you. My first police scanner was a Bearcat IV which was very similar to this model. One of the best features of this radio is volume.

I don't know if Bearcat crystals are still in production.

Thanks for all the help ad advice everyone! I got it at the flea market this weekend. I will open it up and take pics to see what I need. Thanks again and Have a great week all!!

K0JAD

I had that radio 40 years ago. It is crystal controlled. If your load all channels it will cost you $50-75, more than the radio is worth. It covers 30-50Mhz, 150-174Mhz, and maybe 450-470Mhz. Good Luck.

W9NES

I just got done adding the same Bearcat 3 to my Bearcat Collection at a Local Hamfest on Sat 9-24-2011 for $4.00.Works great and has 8 crystals.

W9NES

If you know what freqs are active in your area and the right crystals this will be all you need to make one of these to work and bring it back to life.

As of now I have not taken the back off to see what crystals are needed but apparently it does have one working for I can hear the NOAA weather freq. I like searching yard sales/flea markets looking for old scanners. This one; was the staff radio for the now -defunct Nashville Banner newspaper. and this one; still works fine and sounds great!

Attachments

• pic 069.jpg
    pic 069.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,098
  • pic 070.jpg
    pic 070.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,133
@W9NES I paid $10 for the old Bearcat and I gave an older gentleman a Pro 92 for the Patrolman Pro-9. Giving him that Pro-92 got him back into the fun of scanning again! :) Thanks @MadDog, I'll get on that. This Bearcat III is in great shape, nary a ding or scratch on it!

W9NES

skinnyblkelvis,I have seen those Bearcat 3's at Hamfest for less than $10.00. I bought a Bearcat 3 with 8 crystals in great working condition for $4.00 and I bought a Regency 8 channel scanner for $5.00 with 8 crystals.The Patrolman Pro-9 is a Collectors item. I do have Bearcat Crystals.Please send me a pm and let me know what you need as far as frequencies.I can check my crystal bin and see what I have.Pleae advise. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.