Beartracker 885 - Required Mic / CB Antenna connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted an official -" it's ok "...from Paul (UPMan) or someone.

Is it ok to leave the Microphone and the CB antenna unhooked on a Beartracker 885 if you never intend to use the CB functions?

I plan on hooking up just the BNC Scanner antenna / and GPS Antenna and of course power...

Just want to use for Scanner/Beartracking..

Last edited:

Trucker700

Unless you're getting a great deal on the 885, I would get a used bcd536hp instead. The 885, while a good combo, lacks the ability to add things like DMR, ProVoice or NXDN. Without those, if you're in an area where there is a lot of systems using them, you'll be hitting the Function/Avoid key combo a lot, because of the annoying racket those make when you hear the undecoded audio.
And you'll have to redo it (the avoids) each time you power the radio back on as the avoids are not saved.
That is one of my dislikes with the radio. There are a few more, but, for over the road trucking, it is great.
Trucker

Ubbe

The 536 doesn't have BearTracker. I think that is one crucial function needed when spending a lot of time on the road?

/Ubbe

Trucker700

The 536 doesn't have BearTracker. I think that is one crucial function needed when spending a lot of time on the road?

/Ubbe

No, but the 536 does have Close Call if I remember correctly. The 885 has BWS(BearTracker Warning System)
But, unlike Close Call, when a signal is picked up on the input of a LEO repeater, it emits a series of beeps instead of actually switching to that frequency where you could hear audio.
With BWS, it just lets you know there is a LEO somewhere within a few miles that has keyed up. Not too bad in rural areas, but it will drive you nuts in a large city. I usually keep that option off. Better to just watch my speed than depend on BWS.
Trucker

soberone14

Premium Subscriber
UBBE I am an OTR driver I use the BCD536HO and it works wonderful just get the gps attachment for it and you will live it. I travel all 48 Canada and Alaska with no problems.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Isn't it harder to just turn on an have it start scanning via GPS than the 536hp?
If your a mobile person - you just want to turn it on and go...

Kind of like the Beartracker Alerting as well - if it works...

But you are right the 536HP would give me display of the actual Name of the System like JONES PD vs. just POLICE.

Trucker700

If you are only going to use the 885 mobile, it is the easiest to use. But, it has several limitations. It only shows Police,Fire, Ambulance and DOT as catagories you can select to listen to. You have no idea beyond that as to what actual service you are hearing. And I have found that some of those services use modes not available to the 885 as it appears it cannot be upgraded to NXDN, DMR or ProVoice. As I stated earlier, you will hear annoying racket when you encounter systems using them. You can TEMPORARILY block them out using the keycomdo Function then Avoid. But once you power the radio off then back on, they are back again.
But, the two biggest complaints I have against the 885 are, dim display(almost unreadable in daylight, mounted to the upper console of my Peterbilt's storage bins above the windshield....I can barely see the cb channel numbers and nothing else. Same with the 980 I have from Uniden.
Top complaint I have is HEAT. The 885 gets so hot you almost cannot leave your hand on it. Paul said this is normal. I don't think so. The 536 I just bought barely gets warm after running all day. Big difference.
I hope Uniden improves the firmware in the 885 or creates a new version that overcomes it's shortcomings.
It's a great radio with a good feature set, but poorly thought out in it's implementation.
Trucker

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
I gotcha Trucker700 - saw your post in the Texas forum as well.

I am farther South in Austin, TX area. I had a 536HP a while back - so I know it a bit. wish the GPS you didn't have to run power for. The 885 GPS antenna needs no additional power. I do like the 536HP display so I go back and forth.

Good points.
RVACS

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
bearcat 885

I do not have a microphone attached as I only use the scanner. I do not travel long distances and update each week. Initially I had the problem with DOT hang ups, but after avoiding it, reception was fine until I got in the vicinity of a tower that has data channels, but this is usually short lived. I also only use the scanner antenna it came with (which may account for the hang ups). Reception is decent (15-20 miles).

wbswetnam

I had a 536HP a while back - so I know it a bit. wish the GPS you didn't have to run power for.

Just an FYI... Jon Weinke can do a simple modification for your 536HP such that the puck is powered directly by the radio itself. I think he charges $30 + postage for this mod, if I remember correctly. He did this for my 536HP (he must also modify the puck plug) so that it plugs directly into the serial port of the radio, and does not involve power from an external 12V power supply.

He performed this on my 536HP / GPS puck and I am very pleased with his work.

More info here:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=8647&cat=13

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI... Jon Weinke can do a simple modification for your 536HP such that the puck is powered directly by the radio itself. I think he charges $30 + postage for this mod, if I remember correctly. He did this for my 536HP (he must also modify the puck plug) so that it plugs directly into the serial port of the radio, and does not involve power from an external 12V power supply.

He performed this on my 536HP / GPS puck and I am very pleased with his work.

More info here:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=8647&cat=13

Same one I mention in my post #12 :cool:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Actually not. Click both links and they show different things. They are both my ads, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.