BearTracker 885

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Not if they hassle you under the mistaken assumption that you've got a radio capable of transmitting on their systems.

That is very bad legal advice.

The courts always defer to what the officer knew and/or believed at the time of an incident, even if the officer was mistaken.

WQPW689

While I can't speak with any experience of Indiana or California, I'm unaware of rampaging LE activity against lawful scanner users in Florida or NY when I'm up there. Court dockets are public documents. Show us the cases.

Don't use the things for nefarious activities and you won't have a problem. Most States I know of use this approach. I was in LE for an entire career in NJ. Our statute was written after the successful 1962 challenge to NJ's then blanket ban on scanners and/or transceivers that could catch Public Safety frequencies. As long as one was not using the receiver in connection with an offense, it was allowed.

While scattered enforcement in these minority of jurisdictions is always possible, I doubt it's as big a bogeyman as some here think.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
So this is a 536 with CB attached. I'll have to pass on this one. If it were a 996 with CB, that would be a different story.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That is very bad legal advice.

The courts always defer to what the officer knew and/or believed at the time of an incident, even if the officer was mistaken.

Not always, especially when the officer has been made aware of actual facts on-scene and persists in the harassment. There are "good faith" exceptions, but they can be overturned if one can prove that the officer was acting with deliberate malice.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
This concept needs to include an SSB CB radio. I can't believe Uniden didn't put the 980SSB in this !!! As an AM-only CB, I think Uniden has missed the mark on who is willing to spend this kind of money for a CB/scanner combo. If it was SSB, I think the serious radio enthusiast would jump on it, both in the CB and amateur radio market. I guess Uniden's market research dictated AM-only. Too bad. At this point, it's a disappointing fail.

pkneeyahx

Human
I wonder how long it's going to take before some noob uses an adapter to connect both the bnc and so-239 into a single antenna and blow the scanner side out. lol.

D

DaveNF2G

While I can't speak with any experience of Indiana or California, I'm unaware of rampaging LE activity against lawful scanner users in Florida or NY when I'm up there. Court dockets are public documents. Show us the cases.

I wrote a monograph on the subject in 2005. There have been additional cases since then. Traffic courts and local criminal courts don't have to write opinions, so there is not much documentation to look up.

I've been trying to get around to updating the paper.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
So this is a 536 with CB attached. I'll have to pass on this one. If it were a 996 with CB, that would be a different story.

ummmm.....no.

It is a crippled HP-2 put inside a CB with integrated GPS control of the scanner. The market it is targeted for should love this. For scanner enthusiasts, it probably won't be much more than a novelty item. I too agree with earlier posters that it should have SSB, but it might be a shielding issue (4W vs. 12W)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I too agree with earlier posters that it should have SSB, but it might be a shielding issue (4W vs. 12W)

ummmmmm no.

12W is Peak Envelope Power which is what the TX power would be if you reconstituted the single sideband back into an AM signal (carrier plus both sidebands). Actual TX power is still ~4W depending on modulation level.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
ummmmmm no.

12W is Peak Envelope Power which is what the TX power would be if you reconstituted the single sideband back into an AM signal (carrier plus both sidebands). Actual TX power is still ~4W depending on modulation level.

I said "might." Still interested to see if there is any long term degradation of the receiver due to the use of the CB. You see techs commenting on this with co-located transceiver and scanner antennas on public safety vehicles. Yes, I know they are higher power, but they also aren't in the same chassis.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If the CB market is this big: O
The SSB market is this big: .

Adding the (roughly) $50 retail for SSB would eliminate much more of the market than it would bring in.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I said "might." Still interested to see if there is any long term degradation of the receiver due to the use of the CB.

Given the separate antenna connectors for CB and scanner, pretty unlikely. Dual-receiver radios don't fry themselves when you TX with them, and this unit has no physical connection between CB and scanner.

The user would have to do something REALLY stupid with their antenna installs to feed enough RF into the scanner to damage it. Especially given the fact that most scanner antennas do not cover 27MHz.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
If the CB market is this big: O
The SSB market is this big: .

Adding the (roughly) $50 retail for SSB would eliminate much more of the market than it would bring in.

Well, I guess that means the 980 stays in the RV. I think you're misestimating the market you're targeting. General population casual CBers will not spend big bucks on a radio they're putting in their vehicle for the occasional long trip or "just in case" emergency. The people that are buying the high end CBs on the market today are the hard core hobbyists and truckers. Most truckers I've seen are utilizing radios like the Galaxy DX-959/979 or Texas Ranger TR996-FFC....or more "suspect" offshore radios. To get them to make the jump to your product, they're not going to want to give up a feature that they use. Scanning the CB frequencies with the 996XT in the car, they are using a lot of sideband, at least in the I-95 corridor between Boston and Providence.

Status
Not open for further replies.