Beaufort County Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

leofsiege

I am considering buying a BCD325P2. I have heard and read that Beaufort County has encrypted their Police communications. My understanding is that I will not be able to hear the encrypted communications, but will (if properly configured) be able to listen to the rest of the Palmetto P25 groups. Am I correct in my understanding?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Correct, you can not hear ANY BC LEAs as they all run full time encryption. You can hear all the FDs, EMS.... And can hear any other agency from outside the county that affiliates with any sites you monitor. you will also for the time being need to program the old Palmetto 800 TRS to monitor SHEP, SCHP, DOT, etc. as they are still primarily on it, but can use the P25 system. Over the next couple of years, the rest of the Palmetto 800 will be converted over to the P25 system.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Beaufort County EMS Dispatch is also encrypted. Many Beaufort County FDs use encrypted TAC and admin channels. Marine Rescue is encrypted. Oddly enough, MED (ambulance to hospital) channels are not encrypted.

HHI Fire Rescue (dispatch and tacs) and Beaufort Co FD Dispatch is about all that is not encrypted. And some of the local govt and utility talkgroups.

There are plenty of DMR channels for businesses to listen to now.

leofsiege

Thanks to both of you, that's what I thought. I guess if I get a scanner, it will be for SHTF situations, more that anything then.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Consider buying a scanner model that supports DMR and that opens up a lot more monitoring possibilities. There are plenty of business, utility and local govt channels to listen to, as well as aircraft,including MilAir (including fighter jets from MCAS Beaufort). You can also hear Public Safety agencies from Jasper and Hampton on the Bluffton tower for Palmetto 800. There are other interesting monitoring targets aside from local Public safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.