Bedside Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1njl

For years I have had one or more radios alongside my bed for nighttime listening. This photo shows the latest configuration in a custom build oak shelf I completed last week. Here is what you see:

Top: alarm clock and NCS 3230 Multi Rx (above that is a clip on light)
Second: IC-7100, Pro-2051 atop a Pro-2055
Lower: TS-440SAT and AOR 8600 MK II

For HF there is a dipole in the attic and for VHF/UHF a discone in the attic is feeding a Stridsburg Multicoupler. Across the room there is a computer with an imbedded PCR-2500 and two attached PCR-100's along with an AOR 8000 and an Alinco DJ-X200. Before you ask, no I am not married but I do enjoy monitoring. :)

Attachments

• radios right size.jpg
    radios right size.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,362

manross

Now that is the right way to monitor at night. That was funny, the first thought that came to mind when looking at your post was, wow what an understanding wife, then I read that your not married......too funny :lol:

Marty

commscanaus

That setup is so sweet that if I had it next to my bed- I would never be able to get up in the morning because I would not get any sleep!

An NCS Multi Rx in the bedroom- very nice indeed.

The Oak enclosure is a great touch too.

Used to have a bedside shack at my previous address- but I am too reluctant to go fishing cables down the walls into the bedroom here at the new place.

Fine on not being married- neither am I- so it is easy to set up whatever you like where ever you like whenever you like. No arguments!

Commscanaus.

ka1njl

Thanks and more information

Thank you all for the kind words. I have to admit, it is great being able to monitor multiple services simultaneously. The NCS 3230 is a relatively new addition. It is especially good because it allows me to use only two speakers. The "virtual speaker" feature is sort of irrelevant because my head is not vertical while listening but it is nice to have a mixer with switchable sources. I tried a standard audio mixer but impedence mismatches made it more of an attenuator than a mixer.

The TS440 is a great general coverage receiver. I do not use it to transmit (yet) but I certainly enjoy its sensitivity and selectivity for SWL. I long ago replaced it as my main HF rig in my ham shack but it is great in its current role.

The sixth position? That is a good question. I would like to see something digital there but I don't yet know what. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

73, Gary, ka1njl

Turbo68

I like your set up and i have often told my wife to have some Radios in the room but the problemi is take over it will end up being another radio room.

Regards Lino.
ALINCO-DJX2000
2 AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3
ETON-E5 PORTABLE SHORTWAVE
GRE-PSR500
ICOM-R3/ICOM-R5/ICOM-R20/ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-R2500/ICOM-R9000/ICOM-R9500
RADIO SHACK-PRO96
REALISTIC-PRO2035
UNIDEN-246/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780/UNIDEN-996
YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-VR500/YAESU-VR5000

Last edited:

Airdorn

Nice shack.

But if you want to get married, you'll have to disguise the shack with a tablecloth and a vase of flowers on top... after consummation, you can rip-off the tablecloth to reveal your new wife's worst nightmare. :)

2 Weeks later, it'll be relegated to the garage.

That is the natural way of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.